The Commission shall assess and collect application fees at such rates as the Commission shall establish or at such modified rates as it shall establish pursuant to the provisions of subsection (b) of this section.
(1) The Schedule of Application Fees established under this section shall be reviewed by the Commission every two years after October 1, 1991, and adjusted by the Commission to reflect changes in the Consumer Price Index. Increases or decreases in application fees shall apply to all categories of application fees, except that individual fees shall not be adjusted until the increase or decrease, as determined by the net change in the Consumer Price Index since April 7, 1986, amounts to at least $5.00 in the case of fees under $100.00, or 5 percent in the case of fees of $100.00 or more. All fees which require adjustment will be rounded upward to the next $5.00 increment. The Commission shall transmit to the Congress notification of any such adjustment not later than 90 days before the effective date of such adjustment.
(2) Increases or decreases in application fees made pursuant to this subsection shall not be subject to judicial review.
(1) The Commission shall prescribe by regulation an additional application fee which shall be assessed as a penalty for late payment of application fees required by subsection (a) of this section. Such penalty shall be 25 percent of the amount of the application fee which was not paid in a timely manner.
(2) The Commission may dismiss any application or other filing for failure to pay in a timely manner any application fee or penalty under this section.
(1) The application fees established under this section shall not be applicable (A) to governmental entities and nonprofit entities licensed in the following radio services: Local Government, Police, Fire, Highway Maintenance, Forestry-Conservation, Public Safety, and Special Emergency Radio, or (B) to governmental entities licensed in other services.
(2) The Commission may waive or defer payment of an charge 1 in any specific instance for good cause shown, where such action would promote the public interest.
Moneys received from application fees established under this section shall be deposited in the general fund of the Treasury to reimburse the United States for amounts appropriated for use by the Commission in carrying out its functions under this chapter.
The Commission shall prescribe appropriate rules and regulations to carry out the provisions of this section.
Until modified pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, the Schedule of Application Fees which the Federal Communications Commission shall prescribe pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall be as follows:
(June 19, 1934, ch. 652, title I, §8, as added Pub. L. 99–272, title V, §5002(e), Apr. 7, 1986, 100 Stat. 118; amended Pub. L. 100–594, §5, Nov. 3, 1988, 102 Stat. 3021; Pub. L. 101–239, title III, §3001(a), (b), Dec. 19, 1989, 103 Stat. 2124, 2131; Pub. L. 102–538, title II, §209, Oct. 27, 1992, 106 Stat. 3544; Pub. L. 103–66, title VI, §6003(a)(2), Aug. 10, 1993, 107 Stat. 401; Pub. L. 103–414, title III, §§302, 303(a)(3), (4), Oct. 25, 1994, 108 Stat. 4294.)
Last modified: October 26, 2015