§ 22.1-171. Powers of Authority enumerated
A. In order to enable the Authority to carry out the purposes for which it is established, the Authority is vested with the powers of a body corporate including the power to sue and be sued, to make contracts, to adopt and use a common seal and to alter the same and is authorized and empowered:
1. To collect, or to authorize the trustee under any trust indenture securing any bonds of the Authority to collect, as the same shall become due, the principal of and the interest on all obligations transferred to the Authority from the Literary Fund;
2. To collect, or to authorize the trustee under any trust indenture securing any bonds of the Authority to collect, as the same shall become due, the principal of and the interest on all local school bonds purchased by the Authority;
3. To pay the compensation of the chief executive officer of the Authority and all such employees, agents, financial advisers and attorneys as may be employed by the Authority either from moneys received by the Authority under the provisions of this chapter or from appropriations made by the General Assembly for such purpose;
4. To issue bonds of the Authority as authorized by this chapter and to refund any of such bonds;
5. To adopt or alter or repeal any bylaws, rules or regulations as the Authority may deem necessary or expedient; and
6. To do any and all other acts and things necessary, appropriate or incidental in carrying out the purposes of this chapter.
B. The Authority is further authorized and empowered to issue notes and other obligations for any of its purposes in such form as may be authorized by resolution of the Authority. The issuance of such notes or other obligations shall be governed by the provisions of this chapter insofar as the same may be applicable.
C. The Board of Commissioners shall submit an annual report to the Governor and General Assembly on or before November 1 of each year. Such report shall contain, at a minimum, the annual financial statements of the Authority for the year ending the preceding June 30.
(Code 1950, § 22-29.11; 1962, c. 194; 1972, c. 745; 1980, c. 559; 1984, c. 734; 1985, c. 146; 2004, c. 650.)Sections: Previous 22.1-166.1 22.1-166.2 22.1-167 22.1-167.1 22.1-167.2 22.1-167.3 22.1-168 22.1-168.1 22.1-169 22.1-170 22.1-171 22.1-172 22.1-173 22.1-174 22.1-175 Next
Last modified: April 3, 2009