§ 29.1-749.2. Local regulation of personal watercraft rentals; penalty
A. The City of Virginia Beach may by ordinance regulate personal watercraft as provided in this section. Any ordinance enacted pursuant to this section may include any of the following provisions:
1. Any business which offers personal watercraft for rent shall (i) require any person to whom a personal watercraft is rented to present, prior to such rental, a government-issued identification card containing his photograph and (ii) retain such identification card, or a copy thereof, during the time the personal watercraft is being rented.
2. No person who rents or leases a personal watercraft shall knowingly misrepresent any material fact or falsify any information requested on the rental agreement or application.
3. Any business which offers personal watercraft for hourly short-term rental shall have at least one motorboat of at least fifty horsepower operated by an employee or agent of the business, in order to monitor and ensure the safe operation of the personal watercraft.
4. No business which offers personal watercraft for rent shall rent a personal watercraft that has an engine displacement which exceeds 800 cubic centimeters.
5. Any business which offers personal watercraft for rent shall have at least two marine VHF radios in operation during the time that a personal watercraft rental is being operated. The radios shall monitor channel 16 whenever they are not being actively used on a working channel.
B. Any locality may by ordinance establish standards for insurance coverage for any business which offers personal watercraft for rent.
C. Any ordinance adopted by a locality pursuant to this section may provide for a penalty for violation of the ordinance not to exceed the penalty applicable to a Class 3 misdemeanor.
(1998, c. 563; 1999, c. 536; 2007, c. 813.)Sections: Previous 29.1-744 29.1-744.1 29.1-744.2 29.1-744.3 29.1-744.4 29.1-745 29.1-746 29.1-747 29.1-748 29.1-748.1 29.1-749 29.1-749.1 29.1-749.2 29.1-749.3 29.1-750 Next
Last modified: April 3, 2009