§ 38.2-5108. Notice and registration requirements of purchasing groups
A. A purchasing group which intends to do business in this Commonwealth shall furnish notice to the Commission, on forms prescribed by the Commission, which shall:
1. Identify the state in which the group is domiciled;
2. Identify all other states in which the group intends to do business;
3. Specify the lines and classifications of liability insurance which the purchasing group intends to purchase;
4. Identify the insurance company from which the group intends to purchase its insurance, the domicile of such company, and the business address of such company;
5. Specify the method by which, and the person(s), if any, through whom insurance will be offered to its purchasing groups located in this Commonwealth;
6. Identify the principal place of business of the group including the business address of the group; and
7. Provide such other information as may be required by the Commission to verify that the purchasing group is qualified under the definition set forth in this chapter.
B. A purchasing group shall, within ten days, notify the Commission of any changes in any items set forth in subsection A of this section.
C. The purchasing group shall register with and designate the clerk of the Commission as its agent solely for the purpose of receiving service of legal documents or process, except that such requirements shall not apply in the case of a purchasing group:
1. Which (i) was domiciled before April 1, 1986, and (ii) is domiciled on and after October 27, 1986, in any state of the United States;
2. Which (i) before October 27, 1986, purchased insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state and (ii) since October 27, 1986, purchases its insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state;
3. Which was a purchasing group under the requirements of the Product Liability Risk Retention Act of 1981 before October 27, 1986; and
4. Which does not purchase insurance that was not authorized for purposes of an exemption under that Act, as in effect before October 27, 1986.
D. Each purchasing group that is required to give notice pursuant to subsection A of this section shall also furnish such information as may be required by the Commission to (i) verify that the entity qualifies as a purchasing group; (ii) determine where the purchasing group is located; and (iii) determine appropriate tax treatment.
E. Any purchasing group which was doing business in Virginia prior to the enactment of this subsection shall, within thirty days after July 1, 1992, furnish notice to the Commission pursuant to the provisions of subsection A of this section and furnish such information as may be required pursuant to subsections B and C of this section.
(1987, c. 585; 1992, c. 588.)Sections: Previous 38.2-5101 38.2-5102 38.2-5103 38.2-5104 38.2-5105 38.2-5106 38.2-5107 38.2-5108 38.2-5109 38.2-5110 38.2-5111 38.2-5112 38.2-5113 38.2-5114 38.2-5115 Next
Last modified: April 3, 2009