§ 46.2-916.3. Limitations on golf cart and utility vehicle operations on designated public highways
A. Golf cart and utility vehicle operations on designated public highways shall be in accordance with the following limitations:
1. A golf cart or utility vehicle may be operated only on designated public highways where the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less. A golf cart or utility vehicle may cross a highway in the Town of Colonial Beach at an intersection controlled by a traffic light if the highway has a posted speed limit of no more than 35 miles per hour; however, at other locations, no golf cart or utility vehicle shall cross any highway at an intersection where the highway being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 25 miles per hour;
2. No person shall operate any golf cart or utility vehicle on any public highway unless he has in his possession a valid driver's license;
3. Every golf cart or utility vehicle, whenever operated on a public highway, shall display a slow-moving vehicle emblem in conformity with § 46.2-1081; and
4. Golf carts and utility vehicles shall be operated upon the public highways only between sunrise and sunset, unless equipped with such lights as are required in Article 3 (§ 46.2-1010 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title, for different classes of vehicles.
B. The limitations of subdivision A 1 shall not apply to golf carts and utility vehicles being operated as follows:
1. To cross a highway from one portion of a golf course to another portion thereof or to another adjacent golf course; or to travel between a person's home and golf course if (i) the trip would not be longer than one-half mile in either direction, and (ii) the speed limit on the road is no more than 35 miles per hour;
2. To the extent necessary for local government employees, operating only upon highways located within the locality, to fulfill a governmental purpose, provided the golf cart or utility vehicle is being operated on highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less; and
3. As necessary by employees of public or private two-year or four-year institutions of higher education if operating on highways within the property limits of such institutions, provided the golf cart or utility vehicle is being operated on highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less.
C. The governing body of any county, city, or town may by ordinance impose additional restrictions or limitations on operations of golf carts, utility vehicles, or both, on public highways within its boundaries, provided that the restrictions or limitations imposed by any such ordinance are no less stringent than the restrictions and limitations contained in this article. In the event that any provision of any such ordinance conflicts with any provision of this section, the provision of the ordinance shall be controlling.
(2004, c. 746; 2008, c. 456.)Sections: Previous 46.2-914 46.2-915 46.2-915.1 46.2-915.2 46.2-916 46.2-916.1 46.2-916.2 46.2-916.3 46.2-917 46.2-917.1 46.2-917.2 46.2-918 46.2-919 46.2-919.1 46.2-920 Next
Last modified: April 16, 2009