§ 54.1-3415. Distribution of drugs in Schedules II through VI by manufacturers and wholesalers
A. A permitted manufacturer or wholesaler may distribute Schedule II drugs to any of the following persons, but only on official written orders or pursuant to an electronic order in compliance with federal laws and regulations governing the electronic ordering of Schedule II drugs:
1. To a manufacturer or wholesaler who has been issued permits pursuant to this chapter;
2. To a licensed pharmacist, permitted pharmacy or a licensed practitioner of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, dentistry or veterinary medicine;
3. To a person who has been issued a controlled substance registration certificate pursuant to § 54.1-3422, if the certificate of such person authorizes such purchase;
4. On a special written order accompanied by a certificate of exemption, as required by the federal laws, to a person in the employ of the United States government or of any state, territorial, district, county, municipal, or insular government, purchasing, receiving or possessing drugs by reason of his official duties;
5. To a master of a ship or a person in charge of any aircraft upon which no physician is regularly employed, for the actual medical needs of persons on board such ship or aircraft when not in port. However, such drugs shall be sold to a master of such ship or person in charge of such aircraft pursuant to a special order form approved by a commissioned medical officer or acting assistant surgeon of the United States Public Health Service; and
6. To a person in a foreign country in compliance with the provisions of the relevant federal laws.
B. A permitted manufacturer or wholesaler may distribute drugs classified in Schedule III through Schedule VI and devices to all persons listed in subsection A of this section without an official written order. However, this section shall not be construed to prohibit the distribution of a Schedule VI drug or device to any person who is otherwise authorized by law to administer, prescribe or dispense such drug or device.
(Code 1950, § 54-492; 1970, c. 650; 1972, c. 798, § 54-524.59; 1977, c. 302; 1978, c. 833; 1988, c. 765; 1998, c. 490; 2006, c. 346.)Sections: Previous 54.1-3410.1 54.1-3410.2 54.1-3411 54.1-3411.1 54.1-3412 54.1-3413 54.1-3414 54.1-3415 54.1-3416 54.1-3417 54.1-3418 54.1-3419 54.1-3420 54.1-3420.1 54.1-3420.2 Next
Last modified: April 16, 2009