§ 54.1-3465. Misbranded cosmetics
A cosmetic shall be deemed to be misbranded:
1. If its labeling is false or misleading in any particular;
2. If in package form unless it bears a label containing the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor and an accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count. However, reasonable variations shall be permitted, and exemptions for small packages shall be established by the Board;
3. If any word, statement, or other information required by or under authority of this chapter to appear on the label or labeling is not prominently placed thereon with such conspicuousness, as compared with other words, statements, designs, or devices, in the labeling, and in such terms as to render it likely to be read and understood by the ordinary individual under customary conditions of purchase and use;
4. If its container is so made, formed or filled as to be misleading;
5. If it is a color additive, unless its packaging and labeling are in conformity with packaging and labeling requirements applicable to such color additive under the provisions of the federal act. This subdivision shall not apply to packages of color additives which, with respect to their use for cosmetics, are marketed and intended for use only in or on hair dyes.
A cosmetic which is, in accordance with the practice of the trade, to be processed, labeled or repacked in substantial quantities at an establishment other than the establishment where it was originally processed or packed, is exempted from the affirmative labeling requirements of this chapter while it is in transit in commerce from the one establishment to the other, if such transit is made in good faith for such completion purposes only; but it is otherwise subject to all applicable provisions of this chapter.
(Code 1950, § 54-466; 1970, c. 650, § 54-524.97; 1988, c. 765.)Sections: Previous 54.1-3458 54.1-3459 54.1-3460 54.1-3461 54.1-3462 54.1-3463 54.1-3464 54.1-3465 54.1-3466 54.1-3467 54.1-3468 54.1-3469 54.1-3470 54.1-3471 54.1-3472 Next
Last modified: April 3, 2009