§ 39.29.006. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Agency" means any state office or activity of the executive and judicial branches of state government, including state agencies, departments, offices, divisions, boards, commissions, and educational, correctional, and other types of institutions.
(2) "Client services" means services provided directly to agency clients including, but not limited to, medical and dental services, employment and training programs, residential care, and subsidized housing.
(3) "Competitive solicitation" means a documented formal process providing an equal and open opportunity to qualified parties and culminating in a selection based on criteria which may include such factors as the consultant's fees or costs, ability, capacity, experience, reputation, responsiveness to time limitations, responsiveness to solicitation requirements, quality of previous performance, and compliance with statutes and rules relating to contracts or services.
(4) "Consultant" means an independent individual or firm contracting with an agency to perform a service or render an opinion or recommendation according to the consultant's methods and without being subject to the control of the agency except as to the result of the work. The agency monitors progress under the contract and authorizes payment.
(5) "Emergency" means a set of unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of the agency that either:
(a) Present a real, immediate threat to the proper performance of essential functions; or
(b) May result in material loss or damage to property, bodily injury, or loss of life if immediate action is not taken.
(6) "Evidence of competition" means documentation demonstrating that the agency has solicited responses from multiple firms in selecting a consultant.
(7) "Personal service" means professional or technical expertise provided by a consultant to accomplish a specific study, project, task, or other work statement. This term does not include purchased services as defined under subsection (9) of this section. This term does include client services.
(8) "Personal service contract" means an agreement, or any amendment thereto, with a consultant for the rendering of personal services to the state which is consistent with RCW 41.06.142.
(9) "Purchased services" means services provided by a vendor to accomplish routine, continuing and necessary functions. This term includes, but is not limited to, services acquired under RCW 43.19.190 or 43.105.041 for equipment maintenance and repair; operation of a physical plant; security; computer hardware and software maintenance; data entry; key punch services; and computer time-sharing, contract programming, and analysis.
(10) "Sole source" means a consultant providing professional or technical expertise of such a unique nature that the consultant is clearly and justifiably the only practicable source to provide the service. The justification shall be based on either the uniqueness of the service or sole availability at the location required.
[2002 c 354 § 235; 1998 c 101 § 2; 1993 c 433 § 2; 1987 c 414 § 2; 1981 c 263 § 1; 1979 ex.s. c 61 § 2.]
Short title -- Headings, captions not law -- Severability -- Effective dates -- 2002 c 354: See RCW 41.80.907 through 41.80.910.
Last modified: April 7, 2009