§ 39.35C.020. State agency and school district conservation projects -- Implementation -- Department assistance
(1) Each state agency and school district shall implement cost-effective conservation improvements and maintain efficient operation of its facilities in order to minimize energy consumption and related environmental impacts and reduce operating costs. Each state agency shall undertake an energy audit and implement cost-effective conservation measures pursuant to the time schedules and requirements set forth in chapter 43.19 RCW, except that any state agency that, after December 31, 1997, has completed energy audits and implemented cost-effective conservation measures, or has contracted with an energy service company for energy audits and conservation measures, is deemed to have met the requirements of this subsection for those facilities included in the audits and conservation measures. Each school district shall undertake an energy audit and implement cost-effective conservation measures pursuant to the time schedules and requirements set forth in RCW 39.35C.025. Performance-based contracting shall be the preferred method for completing energy audits and implementing cost-effective conservation measures.
(2) The department shall assist state agencies and school districts in identifying, evaluating, and implementing cost-effective conservation projects at their facilities. The assistance shall include the following:
(a) Notifying state agencies and school districts of their responsibilities under this chapter;
(b) Apprising state agencies and school districts of opportunities to develop and finance such projects;
(c) Providing technical and analytical support, including procurement of performance-based contracting services;
(d) Reviewing verification procedures for energy savings; and
(e) Assisting in the structuring and arranging of financing for cost-effective conservation projects.
(3) Conservation projects implemented under this chapter shall have appropriate levels of monitoring to verify the performance and measure the energy savings over the life of the project. The department shall solicit involvement in program planning and implementation from utilities and other energy conservation suppliers, especially those that have demonstrated experience in performance-based energy programs.
(4) The department shall comply with the requirements of chapter 39.80 RCW when contracting for architectural or engineering services.
(5) The department shall recover any costs and expenses it incurs in providing assistance pursuant to this section, including reimbursement from third parties participating in conservation projects. The department shall enter into a written agreement with the public agency for the recovery of costs.
[2001 c 214 § 21; 1996 c 186 § 406; 1991 c 201 § 3.]
Severability -- Effective date -- 2001 c 214: See notes following RCW 80.50.010.
Findings -- 2001 c 214: See note following RCW 39.35.010.
Findings -- Intent -- Part headings not law -- Effective date -- 1996 c 186: See notes following RCW 43.330.904.
Last modified: April 7, 2009