§ 39.64.080. Powers under plan of readjustment
Such taxing district shall have power to consummate the plan of readjustment, as adopted by the court's decree and approved by it as aforesaid, and if such plan, as approved by such decree, so requires, may, for such purpose, exercise any of the following powers:
(1) Cancel in whole or in part any assessments or any interest or penalties assessed thereon which may be outstanding and a lien upon any property in such taxing district, as and when such assessments are replaced by the readjusted or revised assessments provided for in the plan of readjustment approved by such decree.
(2) Issue refunding bonds to refund bonds theretofore issued by such taxing district. Such refunding bonds shall have such denominations, rates of interest and maturities as shall be provided in such plan of readjustment and shall be payable by special assessments or by general taxes, according to the nature of the taxing district, in the manner provided in such plan of readjustment and decree.
(3) Apportion and levy new assessments or taxes appropriate in time or times of payment to provide funds for the payment of principal and interest of such refunding bonds, and of all expenses incurred by such taxing district in filing the petition mentioned in RCW 39.64.040, and any and all other expenses necessary or incidental to the consummation of the plan of readjustment.
In the case of special assessment districts for the refunding of whose debts no procedure is provided by existing laws, such assessments shall be equitably apportioned and levied upon each lot, tract or parcel of real property within such taxing district, due consideration being given to the relative extent to which the original apportionments upon the various lots, tracts or parcels of real property within such taxing district have already been paid and due consideration also being given to the capacity of the respective lots, tracts or parcels of real property to carry such charges against them. Before levying or apportioning such assessment such taxing district or the officer or officers, board, council or commission mentioned in RCW 39.64.030 shall hold a hearing with reference thereto, notice of which hearing shall be published once a week for four consecutive weeks in the newspaper designated for the publication of legal notices by the legislative body of the city or town, or by the board of county commissioners of the county within which such taxing district or any part thereof is located, or in any newspaper published in the city, town or county within which such taxing district or any part thereof is located and of general circulation within such taxing district. At such hearing every owner of real property within such taxing district shall be given an opportunity to be heard with respect to the apportionment and levy of such assessment.
(4) In the case of special assessment districts, of cities or towns, provide that if any of the real property within such taxing district shall not, on foreclosure of the lien of such new assessment for delinquent assessments and penalties and interest thereon, be sold for a sufficient amount to pay such delinquent assessments, penalties and interest, or if any real property assessed was not subject to assessment, or if any assessment or installment or installments thereof shall have been eliminated by foreclosure of a tax lien or made void in any other manner, such taxing district shall cause a supplemental assessment sufficient in amount to make up such deficiency to be made on the real property within such taxing district, including real property upon which any such assessment or any installment or installments thereof shall have been so eliminated or made void. Such supplemental assessment shall be apportioned to the various lots, tracts and parcels of real property within such taxing district in proportion to the amounts apportioned thereto in the assessment originally made under such plan of readjustment.
(5) Provide that refunding bonds may, at the option of the holders thereof, be converted into warrants of such denominations and bearing such rate of interest as may be provided in the plan of readjustment, and that the new assessments mentioned in subdivision (3) and the supplemental assessments mentioned in subdivision (4) of this section may be paid in refunding bonds or warrants of such taxing district without regard to the serial numbers thereof, or in money, at the option of the person paying such assessments, such refunding bonds and warrants to be received at their par value in payment of such assessments. In such case such refunding bonds and warrants shall bear the following legend: "This bond (or warrant) shall be accepted at its face value in payment of assessments (including interest and penalties thereon) levied to pay the principal and interest of the series of bonds and warrants of which this bond (or warrant) is one without regard to the serial number appearing upon the face hereof."
(6) Provide that all sums of money already paid to the treasurer of such taxing district or other authorized officer in payment, in whole or in part, of any assessment levied by or for such taxing district or of interest or penalties thereon, shall be transferred by such treasurer or other authorized officer to a new account and made applicable to the payment of refunding bonds and warrants to be issued under such plan of readjustment.
(7) Provide that such treasurer or other authorized officer shall have authority to use funds in his possession not required for payment of current interest of such bonds and warrants, to buy such bonds and warrants in the open market through tenders or by call at the lowest prices obtainable at or below par and accrued interest, without preference of one bond or warrant over another because of its serial number, or for any other cause other than the date and hour of such tender or other offer and the amount which the owner of such bond or warrant agrees to accept for it. In such case such refunding bonds and warrants shall bear the following legend: "This bond (or warrant) may be retired by tender or by call without regard to the serial number appearing upon the face hereof."
(8) Provide that if, after the payment of all interest on refunding bonds and warrants issued under any plan of readjustment adopted pursuant to this chapter and chapter IX of the federal bankruptcy act and the retirement of such bonds and warrants, there shall be remaining in the hands of the treasurer or other authorized officer of the taxing district which issued such bonds and warrants money applicable under the provisions of this chapter to the payment of such interest, bonds and warrants, such money shall be applied by such treasurer or other authorized officer to the maintenance, repair and replacement of the improvements originally financed by the bonds readjusted under this chapter and the federal bankruptcy act.
(9) The above enumeration of powers shall not be deemed to exclude powers not herein mentioned that may be necessary for or incidental to the accomplishment of the purposes hereof.
[1935 c 143 § 9; RRS § 5608-9.]Sections: Previous 39.64.005 39.64.010 39.64.020 39.64.030 39.64.040 39.64.050 39.64.060 39.64.070 39.64.080 39.64.085 39.64.090 39.64.900 Next
Last modified: April 7, 2009