§ 39.89.020. Definitions
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Assessed value of real property" means the valuation of real property as placed on the last completed assessment roll.
(2) "Local government" means any city, town, county, port district, or any combination thereof.
(3) "Ordinance" means any appropriate method of taking legislative action by a local government.
(4) "Public improvements" means:
(a) Infrastructure improvements within the increment area that include:
(i) Street and road construction and maintenance;
(ii) Water and sewer system construction and improvements;
(iii) Sidewalks and streetlights;
(iv) Parking, terminal, and dock facilities;
(v) Park and ride facilities of a transit authority;
(vi) Park facilities and recreational areas; and
(vii) Storm water and drainage management systems; and
(b) Expenditures for any of the following purposes:
(i) Providing environmental analysis, professional management, planning, and promotion within the increment area, including the management and promotion of retail trade activities in the increment area;
(ii) Providing maintenance and security for common or public areas in the increment area; or
(iii) Historic preservation activities authorized under RCW 35.21.395.
(5) "Public improvement costs" means the costs of: (a) Design, planning, acquisition, site preparation, construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, improvement, and installation of public improvements; (b) relocating, maintaining, and operating property pending construction of public improvements; (c) relocating utilities as a result of public improvements; (d) financing public improvements, including interest during construction, legal and other professional services, taxes, insurance, principal and interest costs on general indebtedness issued to finance public improvements, and any necessary reserves for general indebtedness; (e) assessments incurred in revaluing real property for the purpose of determining the tax allocation base value that are in excess of costs incurred by the assessor in accordance with the revaluation plan under chapter 84.41 RCW, and the costs of apportioning the taxes and complying with this chapter and other applicable law; and (f) administrative expenses and feasibility studies reasonably necessary and related to these costs, including related costs that may have been incurred before adoption of the ordinance authorizing the public improvements and the use of community revitalization financing to fund the costs of the public improvements.
(6) "Regular property taxes" means regular property taxes as defined in RCW 84.04.140, except: (a) Regular property taxes levied by port districts or public utility districts specifically for the purpose of making required payments of principal and interest on general indebtedness; and (b) regular property taxes levied by the state for the support of the common schools under RCW 84.52.065. Regular property taxes do not include excess property tax levies that are exempt from the aggregate limits for junior and senior taxing districts as provided in RCW 84.52.043.
(7) "Tax allocation base value" means the true and fair value of real property located within an increment area for taxes imposed in the year in which the increment area is created, plus twenty-five percent of any increase in the true and fair value of real property located within an increment area that is placed on the assessment rolls after the increment area is created.
(8) "Tax allocation revenues" means those tax revenues derived from the imposition of regular property taxes on the increment value and distributed to finance public improvements.
(9) "Increment area" means the geographic area from which taxes are to be appropriated to finance public improvements authorized under this chapter.
(10) "Increment value" means seventy-five percent of any increase in the true and fair value of real property in an increment area that is placed on the tax rolls after the increment area is created.
(11) "Taxing districts" means a governmental entity that levies or has levied for it regular property taxes upon real property located within a proposed or approved increment area.
(12) "Value of taxable property" means the value of the taxable property as defined in RCW 39.36.015.
[2001 c 212 § 2.]Sections: Previous 39.89.010 39.89.020 39.89.030 39.89.040 39.89.050 39.89.060 39.89.070 39.89.080 39.89.090 39.89.100 39.89.900 39.89.902 Next
Last modified: April 7, 2009