Code of Alabama - Title 25: Industrial Relations and Labor - Section 25-9-11 - Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen - Qualifications of mine foreman

Section 25-9-11 - Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen - Qualifications of mine foreman.

(a) Each applicant for a mine foreman's certificate of competency shall be at least 23 years old and be a citizen of the United States or, if not a citizen of the United States, a person who is legally present in the United States with appropriate documentation from the federal government, and shall satisfy one of the following:

(1) Have had at least four years of practical mining experience.

(2) Have had at least two years of practical experience in or around coal mines and hold a bachelor level degree in mining engineering, geology, or a related field of study from a school accredited by the American Association of Universities, a successor organization, or by a national or regional accrediting agency that is recognized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education.

(3) Have had at least two years and six months of practical mining experience in or around a coal mine and a bachelor level degree in any field of engineering other than mining engineering.

(4) Have had at least three years of practical experience in or around coal mines and hold an associate level degree in engineering, geology, or a related field of study from a school accredited by the American Association of Universities, a successor organization, or by a national or regional accrediting agency that is recognized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education.

(b) Each applicant must also submit with his or her application an affidavit reflecting that he or she has met the requirements described in this section and attesting to his or her good moral character and known temperate habits. This affidavit shall be signed by three reputable citizens, at least one of whom shall be the holder of a mine foreman's certificate.

(Acts 1949, No. 207, p. 242, §4; Acts 1975, 4th Ex. Sess., No. 147, p. 2866, §1; Act 2008-147, p. 238, §3; Act 2019-225, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021