Code of Alabama - Title 25: Industrial Relations and Labor - Section 25-9-17 - Persons authorized to act as fire boss; temporary fire boss or mine foreman

Section 25-9-17 - Persons authorized to act as fire boss; temporary fire boss or mine foreman.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person shall act as fire boss in any coal mine in this state unless he or she is in possession of a fire boss's certificate of competency or a mine foreman's certificate of competency.

(b) If it is impossible for an operator, owner, or lessee to secure the immediate service of a certified mine foreman or fire boss, he or she may employ a person, who holds a valid underground coal mine foreman certification issued by another state, has worked in an underground mine in Alabama for at least 30 calendar days, and meets the qualifications to work as a mine foreman in this state, as concurred in by the chief, or mine inspector delegated by the chief, to act as a temporary mine foreman or fire boss until the date of the next mine foreman examination that the person is eligible to take.

(c) The requirements for a temporary mine foreman or fire boss shall be no more stringent than those contained in federal regulations.

(Acts 1949, No. 207, p. 242, §5; Acts 1975, 4th Ex. Sess., No. 147, p. 2866, §1; Act 2019-225, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021