Code of Alabama - Title 25: Industrial Relations and Labor - Section 25-9-87 - Use of flame safety lamps

Section 25-9-87 - Use of flame safety lamps.

(a) All flame safety lamps used for examining coal mines or for working therein shall be permissible. When not in use, they shall be in the care of certified officials or other competent designated persons who shall disassemble, examine, clean, fill, and deliver them, locked and in safe condition, to their users before they enter the mine. Flame safety lamps shall not be unlocked or disassembled inside any coal mine.

(b) At least two permissible flame safety lamps shall be kept in serviceable condition at each coal mine. Not less than 25 percent of those in use or one, whichever is greater, shall be kept in reserve at each mine for use in emergency.

(c) Permissible flame safety lamps shall be entrusted for use only to certified persons or to approved competent persons who have been accredited as users of flame safety lamps as required in this chapter.

(d) Every person who knows his flame safety lamp to be injured or defective shall immediately extinguish it and promptly report its condition to his supervisor, the mine foreman, or to the designated lamp attendant. Defective lamps must be kept separate from others until repaired.

(Acts 1949, No. 207, p. 242, §19; Acts 1975, 4th Ex. Sess., No. 147, p. 2866, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021