Code of Alabama - Title 25: Industrial Relations and Labor - Section 25-9-88 - Reports as to ventilation, gas content, reopening of mines, etc

Section 25-9-88 - Reports as to ventilation, gas content, reopening of mines, etc.

(a) The operator of each coal mine shall send to the division a report monthly, or more often if necessary, showing the amount of ventilation and methane content at the inlet and outlet, the amount of ventilation and the methane content of return air at or near the last crosscut in each working entry, the number of splits and the number of men and animals on each split and the places gas has been detected in old workings. The report shall include a record of the pressure gauge readings at the fan.

(b) A prompt report, by the quickest available means, must be made by the operator to the division upon detection of any dangerous accumulation of methane in any coal mine, whether accompanied by explosion or not. This report shall state precautions taken to safeguard employees and action taken or planned to remove the dangerous accumulation. The division shall issue such supplementary orders as may be indicated and dispatch one or more inspectors promptly to the mine if the circumstances warrant.

(c) A report shall be made by the operator to the division prior to opening any new or reopening any abandoned coal mine or abandoning any coal mine.

(d) A report shall be made by the operator to the division when the workings of any coal mine are approaching an abandoned coal mine, shaft, or other underground passages that are known to contain or may contain dangerous accumulations of water or gas.

(e) A report shall be made by the operator to the division upon the accidental closing or prior to the intended abandonment or closing of any passageway to an escapement outlet.

(f) A report shall be made by the operator to the division before breaking through any opening into a coal mine whether from or to the surface or through other mine shafts or other passages.

(Acts 1949, No. 207, p. 242, §20; Acts 1975, 4th Ex. Sess., No. 147, p. 2866, §1.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021