For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) DIGITAL NETWORK. Any online-enabled application, software, website, or system offered or utilized by a TNC that enables the prearrangement of a ride with a TNC driver.
(2) PERSONAL VEHICLE. A vehicle that meets both of the following criteria:
a. Is used by a TNC driver to provide a prearranged ride.
b. Is owned, leased, or otherwise authorized for use by a TNC driver.
(3) PREARRANGED RIDE. The provision of transportation by a TNC driver to a TNC rider, beginning when a TNC driver accepts a ride requested by a TNC rider through a digital network controlled by a TNC, continuing while the TNC driver transports the requesting TNC rider, and ending when the last requesting TNC rider departs from the personal vehicle of the TNC driver. A prearranged ride does not include transportation provided by any of the following pursuant to the Alabama Motor Carrier Act, Chapter 3 of Title 37:
a. A shared expense carpool or vanpool arrangement.
b. A regional transportation company or licensed motor carrier.
(4) TNC. A transportation network company that is a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other entity licensed and operating in this state that uses a digital network to connect a TNC rider to a TNC driver who provides a prearranged ride. A TNC may not control, direct, or manage the personal vehicle or the TNC driver who connects to its digital network, except where agreed to by written contract.
(5) TNC DRIVER. An individual who meets both of the following criteria:
a. Receives connections to potential riders and related services from a TNC in exchange for payment of a fee to the TNC.
b. Uses a personal vehicle to offer or provide a prearranged ride to a TNC rider upon connection through a digital network controlled by a TNC and in exchange for compensation or payment of a fee.
(6) TNC RIDER. An individual who uses the digital network of a TNC to connect with a TNC driver who provides a prearranged ride to the TNC rider in the personal vehicle of the TNC driver between points chosen by the TNC rider.
Last modified: May 3, 2021