(a) For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed to them by this section:
(1) CIGAR WRAP. An individual tobacco wrapper that is made wholly or in part from tobacco, including reconstituted tobacco, whether in the form of tobacco leaf, sheet, or tube, if the wrap is designed to be offered to or purchased by a consumer.
(2) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of the Department of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(4) NET TAX PROCEEDS. The entire proceeds from the tax herein levied less costs of collection, refunds, grants, and credits as may be authorized by law.
(5) PERSON. Individuals, firms, corporations, partnerships, companies, or other agencies, associations, incorporated or otherwise, singular or plural.
(6) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(7) WHOLESALE SALE. A sale of tangible personal property by wholesalers to licensed retail merchants, jobbers, dealers, or other wholesalers for resale and shall not include a sale by wholesalers to users or consumers, not for resale.
(b) There is hereby levied a tax upon all cigar wrappers manufactured using tobacco sold at wholesale in this state or imported into this state for use, consumption, or sale at retail. The tax shall be levied upon each package in the following amounts: Weighing not more than one and one-eighth ounces, four cents ($.04); over one and one-eighth ounces, not exceeding two ounces, ten cents ($.10); over two ounces, not exceeding three ounces, sixteen cents ($.16); over three ounces, not exceeding four ounces, twenty-one cents ($.21); and six cents ($.06) additional tax for each ounce or fractional part thereof over four ounces.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b), nothing in this section shall be construed to apply to a cigar manufacturer using wrappers made from tobacco applying those wrappers on a finished cigar for sale at retail.
(d) Before any person engages in the business of selling any of the items on which the tax levied by this section has not been paid to the department, the person shall make application to the department upon forms prepared by the department for a license. The license shall be a condition precedent to engaging or continuing in the business of selling the items taxed under this chapter.
(e) On or before the 20th day of each month, each person on whom the tax levied by this chapter is imposed shall render to the department on forms prescribed by the department a true and correct statement showing the amounts utilized in the measurement of the tax and all other information as the department may require and shall pay to the department the amount of tax shown due.
(f) Any person subject to this section who shall fail to make any report required of them by the department or shall fail to keep any of the records required herein shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. Each month of such failure shall constitute a separate offense.
(g) The tax imposed by this section shall be in addition to all other licenses and taxes levied by law as a condition precedent to engaging in any business taxable hereunder.
(h) Any taxpayer who shall violate this section may be restrained from continuing in business, and the proper prosecution shall be instituted in the name of the State of Alabama by its Attorney General or by the counsel of the department until such person shall have complied with this chapter.
(i) The department shall enforce this section and may prescribe, adopt, promulgate, and enforce rules relating to any matter or thing pertaining to the administration and enforcement of this section and the collection of taxes, penalties, and interest imposed by this section.
(j) The department for good cause may grant up to a 30-day extension for the time for making any return required under this section.
(k) All revenue collected under the provisions of this section shall be paid to the department and shall be distributed as is provided for the distribution of funds received from tobacco products other than cigarettes in Section 40-25-23(3).
(l) The amount of money as shall be appropriated for each fiscal year by the Legislature to the department with which to pay the salaries and the cost of operation and management of the department shall be deducted, as a first charge thereon, from the taxes collected under the provisions of this section; provided, however, that the expenditure of such sum so appropriated shall be budgeted and allotted pursuant to Sections 41-4-80 to 41-4-96, inclusive, and limited to the amount appropriated to defray the expenses of operating the department for each fiscal year.
Last modified: May 3, 2021