5-324. Public records; identification of requester; supplying information by mail; records custodians; certification of records
A. All records of the department made or kept pursuant to this article are public records.
B. The department shall furnish information or copies from the records kept pursuant to this section subject to sections 39-121.01 and 39-121.03.
C. Persons requesting a copy of a public record pursuant to this section shall identify themselves and state the reason for making the request. The department shall verify the name and address of the person making the request by requiring the person to produce necessary information to ensure that the information given is true and correct.
D. The department shall not divulge any information from a watercraft registration record unless the person requesting the information provides the following:
1. The name of the owner.
2. The hull identification number of the watercraft.
3. The department issued number assigned to the watercraft.
E. The procedures required by subsections C and D of this section do not apply to:
1. This state or any of its departments, agencies or political subdivisions.
2. A court.
3. A law enforcement officer.
4. A licensed private investigator.
5. Financial institutions and enterprises under the jurisdiction of the department of financial institutions or a federal monetary authority.
6. The federal government or any of its agencies.
7. An attorney admitted to practice in this state who alleges the information is relevant to any pending or potential court proceeding.
8. An operator of a self-service storage facility located in this state who alleges both of the following:
(a) That the watercraft on which the operator is requesting the record is in the operator's possession.
(b) That the record is requested to allow the operator to notify the registered owner and any lienholders of record of the operator's intent to foreclose its lien and to sell the watercraft.
9. A towing company located in this state that alleges both of the following:
(a) That the watercraft on which the towing company is requesting the record is in the towing company's possession.
(b) That the record is requested to allow the towing company to notify the registered owner and any lienholders of record, if known, of the towing company's intent to sell the watercraft.
10. An insurance company.
F. The department may supply the requested information by mail or telecommunications.
G. The director may designate as custodian of the department's public records those department employees the director deems necessary. If a public record of the department has been certified by a records custodian and authenticated as required under proof of records (records of public officials), rules of civil procedure and the rules of evidence for courts in this state, it is admissible in evidence without further foundation.
H. Notwithstanding subsection D of this section, information may be supplied for commercial purposes, as defined in section 39-121.03, if the information is transmitted in a machine readable form such as computer magnetic tape to the person making the request.
I. The department shall maintain for a period of at least one year a file of requests for information that shall be maintained by the name of the person whose record was requested, except those requests made by government agencies.Section: Previous 5-301 5-302 5-311 5-321 5-321.01 5-322 5-323 5-324 5-325 5-326 5-327 5-328 5-331 5-332 5-333 Next
Last modified: October 13, 2016