Arkansas Code § 11-7-313 - Washroom and Lockers

(a) It shall be the duty of every owner or lessee, its officers and agents, or other persons having jurisdiction or direction of any coal mine within the State of Arkansas to provide a suitable building which shall be convenient to the principal entrance of the mine and equipped with individual lockers or hangers, benches or seats, proper light, heat, hot and cold water, and shower baths, and maintain them in good order for the use and benefit of all persons employed in or about the mine.

(b) (1) The building shall be constructed so as to give sufficient floor space for the accommodation of miners or others using it.

(2) The flooring in the washroom of the building is to be made of concrete or cement, but the material used in flooring the changing room shall be optional with the owner, lessee, or person operating or directing the operation of the mine.

(3) (A) All lockers required by this section, when made of steel, shall be not less than twelve inches (12'') in width, twelve inches (12'') in depth, and sixty inches (60'') in height.

(B) When the lockers are made of lumber, they shall not be less than twelve inches (12'') in depth, twelve inches (12'') in width, and sixty inches (60'') in height, with partitions in the center.

(4) Individual hangers shall consist of not less than three (3) suitable hooks upon which to hang clothing and a receptacle of suitable size for use in connection therewith, attached to a proper chain or wire rope, and suspended so as to admit of the hanger being raised to such height that the wearing apparel, when hung thereon, will not be less than seven feet (7') above the floor of the building and capable of being locked in that position.

(5) The lockers or hangers in each washhouse shall be sufficient in number to accommodate all employees of the mine or mines, and there shall be one (1) shower bath for each fifteen (15) employees.

(c) The employees shall furnish their own towels, soap, and lock for their lockers or hangers and shall exercise control over and be responsible for the property by them left therein.

(d) It shall be the duty of all persons using the washhouses to remove therefrom all cast-off wearing apparel.

(e) Every corporation, company, partnership, or person, who or which shall construct any building required by subsections (a)-(d) of this section and shall install the washhouse and washhouse facilities as required therein, shall at all times during the operation of any mine keep them in a clean and sanitary condition but shall not be liable for the loss or destruction of any property of employees left in the building.

(f) It shall be the duty of the State Mine Inspector, and he or she is by this section authorized, to require washhouses already in existence to be so changed, remodeled, and improved as to comply with the provisions of this section. He or she shall have general supervision of this chapter and its enforcement.

(g) (1) Any owner or lessee, its officers or agents, or other person or persons failing or refusing to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction, be fined not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) Each day's violation shall constitute a separate offense and shall be punished as such.

(h) (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to break, injure, or destroy any part or appurtenance to any washhouse or commit any nuisance therein.

(2) Any person adjudged guilty of a violation of this subsection shall be fined in any sum not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than fifty dollars ($50.00).

Section: Previous  11-7-306  11-7-307  11-7-308  11-7-309  11-7-310  11-7-311  11-7-312  11-7-313  11-7-314  11-7-315  11-7-316  11-7-317  11-7-318  11-7-319    Next

Last modified: November 15, 2016