Arkansas Code § 11-7-309 - Means of Signaling -- Cages

(a) The owner, agent, or operator of every mine operated by shaft shall provide suitable means for signaling between the bottom and top thereof.

(b) (1) He or she shall also provide safe means of hoisting and lowering persons in a cage covered with boiler iron, so as to keep safe, as far as possible, persons descending into or ascending out of the mine.

(2) The cages shall be furnished with guides to conduct it through slides through the shaft with a sufficient brake on every drum to prevent accident in case of the giving out or breaking of the machinery.

(3) The cage shall be furnished with spring catches, intended and provided so far as possible to prevent the consequences of cable breaking or the loosening or disconnecting of the machinery.

(4) No props or rails shall be lowered in a cage in every case while men are descending into or ascending out of the mine.

(5) When men are ascending or descending, the opposite cage in every case shall be empty.

(6) No owner, agent, or operator of any coal mine operated by a shaft or slope shall place in charge of any engine whereby men are lowered into or hoisted out of the mines anyone but an experienced, competent, and sober person not under eighteen (18) years of age.

(7) No person shall be permitted to ride upon a loaded cage or wagon used for hoisting purposes in any shaft or slope, except persons employed for that purpose.

(8) In no case shall any coal be hoisted out of any mine while any person or persons are descending into the mine.

(9) In no case shall more than one (1) member of the same family ascend or descend on a cage.

(10) No more than eight (8) persons shall ascend out of or descend into any mine on one (1) cage at one (1) time, nor shall they be lowered or hoisted more rapidly than five hundred feet (500') to the minute.

Section: Previous  11-7-302  11-7-303  11-7-304  11-7-305  11-7-306  11-7-307  11-7-308  11-7-309  11-7-310  11-7-311  11-7-312  11-7-313  11-7-314  11-7-315  11-7-316  Next

Last modified: November 15, 2016