Arkansas Code § 11-7-411 - Coal Miners -- Examination -- Qualifications -- Certificates

(a) The Coal Mine Examining Board of this state shall hold sufficient examinations each year in places to be determined by the board, which, in its opinion, will be most convenient to applicants desiring to engage in the business of coal mining.

(b) All examinations held by the Coal Mine Examining Board shall be conducted in the English language and shall be of a practical nature, so as to determine the competency and qualifications of each applicant.

(c) The board shall examine under oath all persons who may apply for certificates, except those regularly employed in the State of Arkansas and exempted under the provisions of ยง 11-7-409, as to their previous experience as coal miners and shall grant certificates of competency and qualification to such applicants as it may find to be qualified. The certificate, when so issued, shall entitle the holder thereof to be employed as, and to do the work of, a coal miner in this state.

(d) (1) No certificate of competency and qualification shall be issued or delivered to any person under this act, unless:

(A) He or she first shall produce evidence of having had not less than two (2) years of practical experience working as a coal miner or working with a coal miner; and

(B) He or she is competent to mine coal in the coal mines of this state.

(2) In no case shall the applicant be deemed competent or qualified under this act unless he or she appears in person before the examining board and orally answers intelligently and correctly at least twelve (12) practical questions propounded to him or her by the board pertaining to requirements and qualifications of a practical coal miner.

(e) The board shall keep an accurate record of its proceedings and meetings and in the record shall show a correct detailed account of the examination of each applicant with the questions asked and his or her answers, and at each of its meetings, the board shall keep the records open for the inspection of the parties in interest.

(f) No miner's certificate granted under the provisions of this act shall be transferable, and any effort to transfer the certificate shall be deemed a violation of this act.

(g) The certificate shall be issued only at meetings of the board, and the certificate shall not be legal unless signed by at least a majority of the members of the board.

(h) (1) Each applicant for the certificate provided for herein shall pay a fee of fifty cents (50cent(s)) to the board at the time of making application and, if successful in the examination, shall pay an additional fee of fifty cents (50cent(s)) for the certificate.

(2) All fees collected from these applicants shall be paid into the Coal Mine Examining Fund and paid out of the fund as other moneys are paid out.

Section: Previous  11-7-402  11-7-403  11-7-404  11-7-405  11-7-406  11-7-407  11-7-408  11-7-409  11-7-410  11-7-411  11-7-412  11-7-413  11-7-414    Next

Last modified: November 15, 2016