(1) The legislative service bureau, under the direction of the legislative council, shall, as soon as practicable after the close of any session of the legislature, carefully examine, classify, assign compilation numbers to, catchline, and index the acts passed and prepare them for publication by the legislative service bureau. The publication shall include the following:
(a) A title, preface, and table of contents.
(b) All acts of a general character which affect the people of the whole state.
(c) All joint resolutions.
(d) All amendments to the state constitution of 1963 adopted after the publication of the acts of the last preceding session of the legislature.
(e) All acts of a local or municipal character which do not affect the people of the whole state.
(f) All initiated laws.
(g) All veto messages of the governor.
(h) All executive orders by which the governor makes changes in the organization of the executive branch or in the assignment of functions among its units which require the force of law.
(i) Abstracts of proceedings of boards of supervisors organizing new townships, consolidating townships, or changing the boundaries of townships, received and filed in the office of the secretary of state after the publication of the acts of the previous session of the legislature.
(j) Abstracts of proceedings relative to incorporation and change of boundaries of cities and villages filed in the office of the secretary of state after the publication of the acts of the previous session of the legislature.
(k) Abstracts of proceedings relative to the incorporation of charter townships filed in the office of the secretary of state after the publication of the acts of the previous session of the legislature.
(l) A certificate of the secretary of state setting forth the date of the final adjournment of the legislative session at which the acts published were enacted, and setting forth in the same certificate the date upon which all such acts, not given immediate effect or carrying an effective date, shall take effect according to the state constitution of 1963.
(m) That part of the annual report of the state treasurer for the latest completed fiscal year as shall give an accurate account of the receipts and expenditures of public money.
(n) The Michigan compiled laws table.
(o) An index.
(2) The legislative service bureau, under the direction of the legislative council, shall include each final adopted apportionment and districting plan with the public and local acts of the first regular session following the date on which the plan becomes law.
(3) The items described in subsections (1) and (2) shall be published with the following title text:
|"PUBLIC AND LOCAL ACTS|
(4) The public and local acts shall be sequentially arranged by act number, with boldfaced compilation numbers and catchlines of a style similar to compilation numbers and catchlines in the Michigan Compiled Laws. The senate or house of representatives bill number of each public or local act shall appear in parentheses in boldfaced type immediately below the act number. In cases where a section appearing in the last preceding compilation of the general laws has been amended, the catchline of that section shall contain the compilation number given to that section in the compilation and that number shall be in boldfaced type. The corresponding citation to the Michigan statutes annotated shall be placed in brackets in boldface immediately following and as part of the catchline to each section. Cardinal numerals shall be printed in figures and not written out, except when a sentence begins with a cardinal numeral.
(5) As used in this section, "publication" or "published" means the production and dissemination of information in print, microfilm, microfiche, or electronic form.
History: 1899, Act 44, Imd. Eff. Apr. 18, 1899 ;-- CL 1915, 820 ;-- CL 1929, 486 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 187, Imd. Eff. May 28, 1931 ;-- Am. 1939, Act 6, Imd. Eff. Feb. 27, 1939 ;-- CL 1948, 24.1 ;-- Am. 1949, Act 47, Imd. Eff. Apr. 7, 1949 ;-- Am. 1958, Act 161, Eff. Sept. 13, 1958 ;-- Am. 1980, Act 462, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981 ;-- Am. 1983, Act 97, Imd. Eff. June 23, 1983 ;-- Am. 1995, Act 179, Imd. Eff. Oct. 17, 1995
Last modified: October 10, 2016