Issued citations: Filing with court; disposition of charges by court; unlawful acts; maintenance of records.
1. Every peace officer upon issuing a misdemeanor citation, pursuant to NRS 171.177 to 171.1779, inclusive, to an alleged violator of any provision of a county, city or town ordinance or of a state law which is punishable as a misdemeanor shall file manually or, if the provisions of subsection 2 are satisfied, file electronically the original or a copy of such misdemeanor citation with a court having jurisdiction over the alleged offense.
2. A copy of a misdemeanor citation that is prepared electronically may be filed electronically with a court having jurisdiction over the alleged offense if the court:
(a) Authorizes such electronic filing;
(b) Has the ability to receive and store the citation electronically; and
(c) Has the ability to physically reproduce the citation upon request.
3. Upon the filing of the original or a copy of such misdemeanor citation with a court having jurisdiction over the alleged offense, such original or copy of such misdemeanor citation may be disposed of only by trial in such court or other official action by a judge of such court.
4. It is unlawful and official misconduct for any peace officer or other officer or public employee to dispose of a misdemeanor citation or copies thereof or of the record of the issuance of a misdemeanor citation in a manner other than as required in this section.
5. The chief administrative officer of every county, city or town law enforcement agency shall require the return to him of a physical copy or electronic record of every misdemeanor citation issued by an officer under his supervision to an alleged misdemeanant and of all physical copies or electronic records of every misdemeanor citation which has been spoiled or upon which any entry has been made and not issued to an alleged misdemeanant.
6. Such chief administrative officer shall also maintain or cause to be maintained in connection with every misdemeanor citation issued by an officer under his supervision a record of the disposition of the charge by the court in which the original or copy of the misdemeanor citation was filed.
Last modified: February 25, 2006