Sexual offense: Notice of conviction to Central Repository; defendant informed of duty to register; effect of failure to inform.
1. If a defendant is convicted of a sexual offense, the court shall, before imposing sentence:
(a) Notify the Central Repository of the conviction of the defendant, so the Central Repository may carry out the provisions for registration of the defendant pursuant to NRS 179D.450.
(b) Inform the defendant of the requirements for registration, including, but not limited to:
(1) The duty to register in this state during any period in which he is a resident of this state or a nonresident who is a student or worker within this state and the time within which he is required to register pursuant to NRS 179D.460;
(2) The duty to register in any other jurisdiction during any period in which he is a resident of the other jurisdiction or a nonresident who is a student or worker within the other jurisdiction;
(3) If he moves from this state to another jurisdiction, the duty to register with the appropriate law enforcement agency in the other jurisdiction;
(4) The duty to notify the local law enforcement agency in whose jurisdiction he formerly resided, in person or in writing, if he changes the address at which he resides, including if he moves from this state to another jurisdiction, or changes the primary address at which he is a student or worker; and
(5) The duty to notify immediately the appropriate local law enforcement agency if the defendant is, expects to be or becomes enrolled as a student at an institution of higher education or changes the date of commencement or termination of his enrollment at an institution of higher education or if the defendant is, expects to be or becomes a worker at an institution of higher education or changes the date of commencement or termination of his work at an institution of higher education.
(c) Require the defendant to read and sign a form stating that the requirements for registration have been explained to him.
2. The failure to provide the defendant with the information or confirmation form required by paragraphs (b) and (c) of subsection 1 does not affect the duty of the defendant to register and to comply with all other provisions for registration pursuant to NRS 179D.350 to 179D.550, inclusive.
Last modified: February 25, 2006