Nevada Revised Statutes Section 176A.630 - Procedure in Criminal Cases

Assignment of case; consideration of alleged violation; revocation permitted upon finding violation; alternative actions; restitution for governmental expenses. If the probationer is arrested, by or without warrant, in another judicial district of this state, the court which granted the probation may assign the case to the district court of that district, with the consent of that court. The court retaining or thus acquiring jurisdiction shall cause the defendant to be brought before it, consider the standards adopted pursuant to NRS 213.10988 and the recommendation, if any, of the Chief Parole and Probation Officer. Upon determining that the probationer has violated a condition of his probation, the court shall, if practicable, order the probationer to make restitution for any necessary expenses incurred by a governmental entity in returning him to the court for violation of his probation. The court may:

1. Continue or revoke the probation or suspension of sentence;

2. Order the probationer to a term of residential confinement pursuant to NRS 176A.660;

3. Order the probationer to undergo a program of regimental discipline pursuant to NRS 176A.780;

4. Cause the sentence imposed to be executed; or

5. Modify the original sentence imposed by reducing the term of imprisonment and cause the modified sentence to be executed. The court shall not make the term of imprisonment less than the minimum term of imprisonment prescribed by the applicable penal statute. If the Chief Parole and Probation Officer recommends that the sentence of a probationer be modified and the modified sentence be executed, he shall provide notice of the recommendation to any victim of the crime for which the probationer was convicted who has requested in writing to be notified and who has provided his current address to the Division. The notice must inform the victim that he has the right to submit documents to the court and to be present and heard at the hearing to determine whether the sentence of a probationer who has violated a condition of his probation should be modified. The court shall not modify the sentence of a probationer and cause the sentence to be executed until it has confirmed that the Chief Parole and Probation Officer has complied with the provisions of this subsection. The Chief Parole and Probation Officer must not be held responsible when such notification is not received by the victim if the victim has not provided a current address. All personal information, including, but not limited to, a current or former address, which pertains to a victim and which is received by the Division pursuant to this subsection is confidential.

Last modified: February 25, 2006