17:12B-158. Definitions as used in sections 159 through 164 (C. 17:12B-159 through C. 17:12B-164) of this act
The following words and phrases as used in sections 159 through 164 (C. 17:12B-159 through C. 17:12B-164) of this act, unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context, shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Property improvement loan" means a loan, secured or unsecured, the purpose of which, as represented to the association by the borrower, is to enable the borrower to pay the cost in whole or in part of repairing, altering, improving, constructing, adding to, modernizing, equipping or rehabilitating real estate used wholly or partially for dwelling purposes and in connection with which the borrower files with the association, at the time when the loan is made, a statement, that the proceeds of the loan will be used to pay the cost, in whole or in part, of modernizing, rehabilitating, altering, constructing, adding to, repairing, equipping or improving such real property, as the case may be.
(2) (Deleted by amendment.)
(3) "Net proceeds" means the difference between the face amount of the note evidencing such loan and that part of such face amount which represents precomputed interest.
(4) "Loan for equipping" means a loan, the proceeds of which are used to finance those items usually and customarily used by the borrower in connection with a residential dwelling, whether or not affixed to the realty. The Commissioner of Banking shall in relation to a "loan for equipping," adopt, amend, alter or rescind regulations, the requirements of which, in his judgment, are necessary to establish appropriate safeguards. The commissioner, when issuing such regulations, shall, to the extent feasible and after giving consideration to the financial and economic circumstances and the public welfare, endeavor to promulgate such rules and regulations in substantial conformity with similar rules and regulations of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board as applied to Federal associations.
(5) "Precomputed interest" means an amount equal to the whole amount of the interest payable on a loan as defined in this section for the period from the making of the loan to the date scheduled by the terms of the loan for the payment of the final installment.
(6) "Person" means an individual, a partnership, a business, a corporation and an association.
(7) "Actuarial method" means the method of applying payments made on a debt between principal and interest pursuant to which a payment is applied first to accumulated interest on the principal amount of the loan and the remainder is applied to the unpaid principal balance of the loan in reduction thereof.
(8) "Precomputed loan" means an installment loan which is evidenced by a note the face amount of which consists of the aggregate of the principal amount of the loan so evidenced, and the precomputed interest thereon.
(9) "Nonprecomputed loan" means an installment loan which is evidenced by a note the face amount of which consists solely of the principal amount of the loan so evidenced.
L.1963, c. 144, s. 158. Amended by L.1975, c. 313, s. 3, eff. Feb. 19, 1976; L.1981, c. 101, s. 14, eff. March 31, 1981.
Section: Previous 17-12b-143 17-12b-144 17-12b-145 17-12b-145.1 17-12b-155 17-12b-156 17-12b-157 17-12b-158 17-12b-159 17-12b-160 17-12b-162 17-12b-163 17-12b-164 17-12b-165 17-12b-166 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016