17:12B-165. Other investments, securities
A State association may invest as follows:
(1) Obligations of the United States. In obligations of or guaranteed as to principal and interest by the United States of America.
(2) Federal Home Loan Bank Stock. In stock of the Federal Home Loan Bank, of which it is eligible to be a member; and in other obligations of any Federal Home Loan Bank or banks or of the Federal Home Loan Bank System.
(3) Participation in mortgage loans.
In the investment in participating interests in mortgage loans. The mortgage which secures payment of any such participating interest shall be a lien upon real estate and shall conform with the limitations, conditions and requirements set forth in this article regulating direct reduction mortgage and straight mortgage loans, with respect to priority of lien, the percentage of such loan to be the appraised value of the mortgaged property, and the terms of repayment of such loan or in conformity with the limitations, conditions and requirements set forth in rules and regulations of the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation. Such participating interest shall entitle the State association to share all money and other benefits derived from such mortgage loan, or incidental thereto, pro rata with, or with preference and priority over, the holder of any other participating interest therein.
(4) Accounts of other associations. In accounts of any insured State association of this State and of any Federal association whose principal office is located in this State; provided, that no such investment shall be made in excess of the amount for which such amount is insured by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.
(5) Savings banks' investments. In any investment in which savings banks of New Jersey are or shall be authorized to invest by any law of this State, other than investments which are, or which hereafter shall be, specifically designated and regulated by this act; provided, however, no funds may be invested pursuant to this subsection which are required for authorized loans to members.
(6) Loans on securities. In loans upon obligations secured by the pledge of any security designated in subsections (1) and (5) of this section; provided, that any loan made on an obligation designated in subsection (1) of this section shall not exceed the market value of the obligation pledged as collateral and any loan made on the security designated in subsection (5) of this section, shall not exceed 80% of the market value of the security pledged as collateral and provided further, that no funds may be invested pursuant to this subsection which are required for other authorized loans to members.
(7) Central and other service corporations.
(a) In the capital stock, securities, debentures or other obligations of a single corporation organized under the laws of the State of New Jersey, the entire capital stock of which corporation shall be open to, subscribed for, and issued to State associations of this State and such Federal associations that have their principal offices in this State; provided, however, that the original capital stock of such corporation shall aggregate at least $200,000.00 from subscriptions and payments by at least 10 of the aforementioned associations; and provided further, that no association, aforementioned, may invest its funds under this subsection in an amount exceeding 5% of its assets at the time of such subscription, payment or investment, except with the approval of the commissioner.
(b) In the capital stock, securities, debentures or other obligations of any corporation organized under the laws of the State of New Jersey, if the entire capital stock of such corporation is available for purchase only by State associations of this State and such Federal associations that have their principal offices in this State; provided, however, that no association aforementioned may make any investment under this subsection in an amount exceeding 3% of its assets, except with the approval of the commissioner.
(8) Federal corporations. In the capital stock, securities, debentures or other obligations of any corporation created by Act of Congress in which such investment may be open to associations and which shall afford advantages or safeguards to associations.
(9) In any other investment in which an association is, or shall be, authorized to invest by any law of this State.
(10) Participation in loans or investments. In a participating interest in any loan or investment which an association is authorized to make.
(11) State securities. Investments in the general obligations of any State or any political subdivision thereof.
(12) Loans to financial institutions, brokers and dealers. Loans to financial institutions with respect to which the United States or any agency or instrumentality thereof has any function of examination or supervision, or to any broker or dealer registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, secured by loans, obligations, or investments in which the association has the statutory authority to invest directly.
(13) Investment companies. An association may invest in, redeem, or hold shares of certificates in any open-end management investment company which is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the portfolio of which is restricted by such management company's investment policy, changeable only if authorized by shareholder vote, solely to any such investments as an association by law or regulation may, without limitation as to percentage of assets, invest in, sell, redeem, hold, or otherwise deal with. The commissioner may prescribe rules and regulations to implement the provisions of this subsection and shall promulgate such rules and regulations in substantial conformity with similar rules and regulations of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.
(14) Commercial paper and corporate debt securities. Subject to the limitation of subsection M. of section 155 of P.L.1963, c. 144 (C. 17:12B-155), an association may invest in, sell or hold commercial paper and corporate debt securities, as defined and approved pursuant to rules and regulations promulgated by the commissioner. The commissioner shall promulgate such rules and regulations in substantial conformity with similar rules and regulations of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.
L.1963, c. 144, s. 165. Amended by L.1966, c. 322, s. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1967; L.1968, c. 189, s. 1, eff. July 19, 1968; L.1969, c. 111, s. 1, eff. June 26, 1969; L.1973, c. 260, s. 2, eff. Nov. 28, 1973; L.1981, c. 101, s. 16, eff. March 31, 1981.
Section: Previous 17-12b-157 17-12b-158 17-12b-159 17-12b-160 17-12b-162 17-12b-163 17-12b-164 17-12b-165 17-12b-166 17-12b-168 17-12b-169 17-12b-170 17-12b-171 17-12b-172 17-12b-173 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016