New Jersey Revised Statutes § 34:6-98.4 - Authority And Duties Of The Commissioner.

34:6-98.4 Authority and duties of the commissioner.

4. a. The commissioner shall administer the provisions of this act and may promulgate, make, amend and repeal necessary and reasonable rules and regulations not inconsistent with the provisions of this act. Such rules and regulations shall have the force and effect of law and shall be enforced in the same manner. It is the policy and intent of this section that the physical plant, operations and methods of the mining industry or any part thereof including mines abandoned prior to the passage of this act and mines abandoned subsequent to the passage of this act shall be so constructed, equipped, arranged, operated, maintained and conducted in all respects as to provide for reasonable and adequate protection to the lives, health and safety of miners, others employed in the mining industry and frequenting the same, the owners of the surface of the ground above such mines and the general public, as well as the protection of property.

b.When requested to do so, the commissioner may make tests, or have same made, to determine if any device, safeguard or equipment may be approved for use in connection with any provisions of this act. The commissioner may charge a fee for such approval, payable by the approval applicant, in any amount commensurate with the cost to the State for making such tests or have same made, in which case he may require the applicant to pay all cost directly to the private agency making the test.

c.The commissioner shall appoint all personnel pursuant to the provisions of Title 11A of the New Jersey Statutes and arrange for all services necessary to administer the provisions of this act. He shall arrange for operations to be conducted in branch offices located near the mining centers of the State if, in his opinion, the effectiveness of the service can be thereby improved.

d.If, upon examination or inspection, it shall appear to an inspector that a mine or part thereof is, from any cause, in a dangerous condition, or fails to comply with the provisions of this act or any rule or regulation promulgated hereunder, he shall so report to the section and the commissioner shall at once notify the operator in charge thereof, such notice to be in writing and to be served by copy upon the operator. Said notice shall state in detail in what particular said mine or part thereof is deemed dangerous, insecure and not in compliance with the provisions of this act, and provide a reasonable specified time to comply. The operator of said mine shall forthwith make such change in order to comply with the requirements of this act.

e.In case of any civil or criminal proceedings at law against the parties so notified, on account of loss of life or bodily injuries sustained by an employee, subsequent to such notice, and in consequence of such dangerous condition, and without an affirmative and diligent effort having been made to remedy the same to the satisfaction of the commissioner, a certified copy of the notice served by the commissioner shall be prima facie evidence of the negligence of such party or parties.

f.If it appears from a reexamination of the mine by the inspector that such changes or compliances have not been made within the time specified in such notice, and that the mine or part of such mine is still in an unlawful condition or dangerous to life, health or property and in the opinion of the commissioner, it is necessary for the protection of life, health or property that such mine or part of the mine be vacated, the commissioner shall forthwith order the cessation of the operation and working of said mine or part of mine, and order that the employees shall not be permitted therein for any purpose other than to remedy the defects complained of, until the provisions of this act are complied with to the satisfaction of the commissioner. The operator of said mine shall forthwith obey said order.

g.If a representative of the section finds conditions in any mine which in his opinion are dangerous to the health and lives of employees, owners of the surface of the ground above the mine or the general public, he shall report the facts forthwith to the commissioner. The commissioner shall order all workings stopped in the particular section of the mine in which the dangerous condition was found, if in his opinion such an action is necessary to preserve life and limb. Work shall not be resumed until the commissioner so authorizes.

h.The commissioner shall have the power and authority to require that every mine, pit or quarry of any operator be registered with him and that a certificate of registration be obtained before the opening of such mine, pit or quarry. The application and certificate forms shall be prescribed by the commissioner.

A certificate of registration shall expire 1 year from its effective date, unless sooner revoked or suspended by the commissioner. A certificate of registration may be renewed upon the filing of an application of renewal on a form prescribed by the commissioner. A certificate of registration shall at all times be prominently displayed at each mine, pit or quarry of the operator.

The commissioner shall have the power and authority to charge an annual registration fee of not less than $500 nor more than $3,000 for each certificate of registration issued. Thereafter, these fees may be adjusted by the commissioner in accordance with fee schedules adopted by regulation.

L.1954, c.197, s.4; amended 1971, c.154, s.3; 1973, c.257, s.2; 2007, c.155, s.3.

Section: Previous  34-6-47.7a  34-6-47.8  34-6-47.9  34-6-67.2  34-6-98.1  34-6-98.2  34-6-98.3  34-6-98.4  34-6-98.5  34-6-98.6  34-6-98.7  34-6-98.8  34-6-98.9  34-6-98.10  34-6-98.11  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016