As used in this act, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) The word "county" shall mean any of the several counties of the State operating under the authority granted by this act.
(2) The term "board of chosen freeholders" or the word "board" shall mean the board of chosen freeholders of any county operating under the powers granted by this act.
(3) The term "solid waste disposal facilities" shall mean the plants, structures and other real and personal property acquired, constructed or operated or to be acquired, constructed or operated by a county, municipality, municipal utilities authority or incinerator authority, including incinerators, sanitary landfills or other plants and property for the treatment and disposal of solid waste and all other real and personal rights therein and appurtenances necessary or useful and convenient for the collection, treatment or disposal in a sanitary manner of solid waste (but not including sewage).
(4) The word "facilities" when used alone, shall mean both such incinerators and sanitary landfills, or either of them as the context shall require.
(5) The word "cost" as applied to solid waste disposal facilities or extension or additions thereto, shall include the cost of construction, reconstruction or improvement, the cost of all labor, materials, machinery and equipment, the cost of all lands, property, rights, easements and franchises acquired, financing charges, interest on bonds issued to finance such facilities prior to and during construction and for 1 year after completion of construction, cost of plans and specifications, surveys of estimates of costs and of revenues, cost of engineering and legal services, and all other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of such construction, reconstruction or improvement, administrative expense and such other expense as may be necessary or incident to the construction or acquisition of such facilities, and the financing herein authorized. Any obligation or expense incurred by the county in connection with any of the foregoing items of cost prior to the issuance of bonds or notes as authorized herein may be regarded as part of such cost and reimbursed to the county out of the proceeds of bonds issued under the provisions of this act.
(6) The term "general obligation bonds" shall mean general obligations of the county which are payable from unlimited ad valorem taxes or from such taxes and additionally secured by a pledge of solid waste disposal facilities service charges as may be established.
(7) The term "solid waste" shall mean any refuse matter, trash or garbage from residences, manufacturing and industrial plants, hotels, apartments or any other public or private building but shall not include water carried wastes or the kinds of wastes usually collected, carried away and disposed of by sewerage system.
(8) The word "commissioner" shall mean the State Commissioner of Environmental Protection.
(9) "Authority" shall mean an incinerator authority created under P.L.1948, c. 348 (C. 40:66A-1 et seq.) or a municipal utilities authority created by a county under P.L.1957, c. 183 (C. 40:14B-1 et seq.).
L.1970, c. 242, s. 3, eff. Oct. 28, 1970. Amended by L.1971, c. 442, s. 3, eff. Feb. 15, 1972.
Section: Previous 40-66a-27 40-66a-28 40-66a-29 40-66a-30 40-66a-31 40-66a-31.1 40-66a-31.2 40-66a-31.3 40-66a-31.4 40-66a-31.4a 40-66a-31.5 40-66a-31.6 40-66a-31.7 40-66a-31.8 40-66a-31.9 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016