As used in this act, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) "Municipality" shall mean any city of any class, any borough, village, town, township, or any other municipality other than a county or a school district;
(2) "Governing body" shall mean the commission, council, board or body, by whatever name it may be known, having charge of the finances of the municipality;
(3) "Person" shall mean any person, association, corporation, nation, State or any agency or subdivision thereof, municipality of the State or a solid waste management authority;
(4) "Solid waste management authority" shall mean a public body created pursuant to section 4 of this act;
(5) Subject to the exceptions provided in the section 4 of this act, "district" shall mean the area within the territorial boundaries of the municipality or municipalities which created or joined in the creation of a solid waste management authority;
(6) "Local unit" shall mean any municipality which created or joined in the creation of a solid waste management authority;
(7) "Garbage and solid wastes disposal system" shall mean the plants, structures and other real and personal property acquired, constructed or operated or to be acquired, constructed or operated by a solid waste management authority, including incinerators or other plants for the treatment and disposal of garbage, solid waste and refuse matter and all other real and personal property and rights therein and appurtenances necessary or useful and convenient for the collection or treatment or disposal in a sanitary manner of garbage, solid waste and refuse matter (but not including sewage).
(8) "Cost" shall mean, in addition to the usual connotations thereof, the cost of acquisition or construction of all or any part of a garbage and solid waste disposal system of all or any property, rights, easements and franchises deemed by the solid waste management authority to be necessary or useful and convenient therefor, including reimbursements to the solid waste management authority or any municipality or other person of any moneys theretofore expended for the purposes of the solid waste management authority and including interest or discount on bonds to finance such cost, engineering and inspection costs and legal expenses, the cost of financial, professional and other advice, and the cost of issuance of any such bonds;
(9) "Real property" shall mean lands, both within and without the State, and improvements thereof or thereon, or any rights or interests therein;
(10) "Construct" and "construction" shall connote, and include acts of construction, reconstruction, replacement, extension, improvement and betterment of a garbage and solid waste disposal system;
(11) "Garbage, solid wastes or refuse matter" shall mean any refuse matter, trash or garbage from residences, hotels, apartments or any other public or private building but shall not include water-carried wastes or the kinds of wastes usually collected, carried away and disposed of by a sewerage system;
(12) "Ordinance" means a written act of the governing body of a municipality adopted and otherwise approved and published in the manner or mode of procedure prescribed for ordinances tending to obligate such municipality pecuniarily; and
(13) "Resolution" means a written act of the governing body of a local unit adopted and otherwise approved in the manner or mode of procedure prescribed for resolutions tending to obligate such local unit pecuniarily.
L.1968, c. 249, s. 3, eff. Aug. 16, 1968.
Section: Previous 40-66a-31.11 40-66a-31.12 40-66a-31.13 40-66a-31.14 40-66a-31.15 40-66a-32 40-66a-33 40-66a-34 40-66a-35 40-66a-36 40-66a-37 40-66a-38 40-66a-39 40-66a-40 40-66a-41 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016