40:66A-48. Default in payment of bonds; trustee; appointment; powers; receiver
In the event that there shall be a default in the payment of principal of or interest on any bonds after the same shall become due, whether at maturity or upon call for redemption, and such default shall continue for a period of 30 days, or in the event that the solid waste management authority shall fail or refuse to comply with the provisions of this act or shall fail or refuse to carry out and perform the terms of any contract with the holders of any of such bonds, and such failure or refusal shall continue for a period of 30 days after written notice to the solid waste management authority of its existence and nature, the holders of 25% in aggregate principal amount of the bonds of such series then outstanding, by instruments or instrument filed in the office of the Secretary of State and proved and acknowledged in the same manner as a deed to be recorded, may appoint a trustee to represent the holders of the bonds of such series for the purposes in this section, and to have the powers provided in this section.
(a) Such trustee may and upon written request of the holders of 25% in aggregate principal amount of the bonds of such series then outstanding shall, in his or its own name;
(1) By an action or proceeding in a court of competent jurisdiction, enforce all rights of the holders of such bonds, including the right to require the solid waste management authority to charge and collect service charges adequate to carry out any contract as to, or pledge of, system revenues, and to require the solid waste management authority to carry out and perform the terms of any contract with the holders of such bonds or its duties under this act;
(2) Bring an action upon all or any part of such bonds or interest coupons or claims appurtenant thereto;
(3) By an action require the solid waste management authority to account as if it were the trustee of an express trust for the holders of such bonds;
(4) By an action enjoin any acts or things which may be unlawful or in violation of the rights of the holders of such bonds; or
(5) Declare all such bonds due and payable, whether or not in advance of maturity, upon 30 days' prior notice in writing to the solid waste management authority and, if all defaults shall be made good, then with the consent of the holders of 25% of the principal amount of such bonds then outstanding, annul such declaration and its consequences.
(b) Such trustee shall, in addition to the foregoing, have and possess all of the powers necessary or appropriate for the exercise of the functions specifically set forth herein or incident to the general representation of the holders of bonds of such series in the enforcement and protection of their rights.
(c) In any action or proceedings by such trustee, the fees, counsel fees and expenses of the trustee and of the receiver, if any, appointed pursuant to this act, may be allowed by the court as taxable costs and disbursements or otherwise, when so allowed, shall be a first charge upon any service charges and system revenues of the solid waste management authority pledged for the payment or security of bonds of such series.
(d) Such trustee, upon such default referred to in this section, whether or not all of the bonds of such series shall have been declared due and payable, shall be entitled as of right to the appointment of a receiver of the garbage and solid wastes disposal system, and such receiver may enter upon and take possession of all moneys and other property derived from or applicable to the acquisition, construction, operation, maintenance or reconstruction which the solid waste management authority is under any obligation to do, and operate, maintain and reconstruct the garbage and solid wastes disposal system and fix, charge, collect, enforce and receive the service charges and all system revenues thereafter arising subject to any pledge thereof or contract with the holders of such bonds relating thereto and perform the public duties and carry out the contracts and obligations of the solid waste management authority in the same manner as the solid waste management authority itself might do and under the direction of the court.
L.1968, c. 249, s. 15, eff. Aug. 16, 1968.
Section: Previous 40-66a-41 40-66a-42 40-66a-43 40-66a-44 40-66a-45 40-66a-46 40-66a-47 40-66a-48 40-66a-49 40-66a-50 40-66a-51 40-66a-52 40-66a-53 40-66a-54 40-66a-55 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016