40:68A-30. Declaration of public interest and policy
It is hereby found that there exists a lack of adequate port facilities available for public use in municipalities in, along or through the territory of which a navigable river flows and it is hereby declared to be in the public interest and to be the policy of the State to foster and promote by all reasonable means the establishment and development of port facilities in municipalities in, along or through the territory of which a navigable river flows and thereby bettering the public health, welfare and convenience and increasing the availability of proper port facilities which cannot be adequately secured except by exercise of the powers of government. It is the purpose and object of this act to further and implement such policy by
(1) Authorizing municipalities in, along or through the territory of which a navigable river flows by means and through the agency of a municipal port authority, to acquire, construct, maintain, operate, improve or lease public port facilities;
(2) Authorizing the making of charges for the use or the services of such facilities, and providing for the establishment, collection and enforcement of such charges;
(3) Creating as bodies corporate and politic municipal port authorities to have full responsibility and powers with respect to such facilities and the establishment, collection, enforcement, use and disposition of such charges for the use or services of such facilities;
(4) Providing for the financing of such facilities, for the issuance of bonds therefor, and for the payment and security of such bonds; and
(5) Granting to municipalities in, along or through the territory of which a navigable river flows and to such municipal port authorities discretionary powers to provide for public port facilities or a system thereof and obtaining funds to defray the cost thereof from the users of such facilities or from counties or municipalities or from other persons contracting for or with respect to the same.
L.1960, c. 192, p. 807, s. 2, eff. Feb. 15, 1961.
Section: Previous 40-68a-23 40-68a-24 40-68a-25 40-68a-26 40-68a-27 40-68a-28 40-68a-29 40-68a-30 40-68a-31 40-68a-32 40-68a-33 40-68a-34 40-68a-35 40-68a-36 40-68a-37 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016