55:14K-2. Legislative findings and declarations
The Legislature hereby finds that:
a. Changing economic conditions and financial markets have reduced the availability in the private sector of feasible construction and permanent financing for (1) the construction of new housing, (2) the conversion of non-residential structures to housing, (3) the rehabilitation and improvement of existing housing and (4) the transfer of existing housing among owners; and these conditions pertain to both rental housing and owner-occupied housing;
b. The foregoing conditions adversely affect the economy of this State and reduce the number of opportunities for adequate and affordable housing in the State that are available to New Jersey residents;
c. Since their creation the New Jersey Mortgage Finance Agency and the New Jersey Housing Finance Agency have contributed significantly to the achievement of the housing goals of New Jersey, providing over 30,000 units of affordable rental housing, and nearly 30,000 loans for home ownership, as well as numerous loans for home improvement;
d. The continued contribution of these two agencies depends on the adaptation of their powers to changing federal housing programs and policies, financing availability for housing and the housing needs of New Jersey residents; and
e. The combination and enhancement of the powers of the two agencies with respect to the full range of housing types would achieve an economy of scale and better equip the State to deal with the changing housing needs of an increasingly diverse population and economy.
The Legislature therefore declares that it is in the best interests of the residents of New Jersey to create a strong, unified advocate for housing production, finance and improvement which will combine available talent, resources and experience to:
(1) Assure the availability for both rental housing and owner-occupied housing of feasible construction and permanent financing for new housing construction, the conversion of non-residential structures to housing, the rehabilitation and improvement of existing housing, and the transfer of existing housing among owners;
(2) Stimulate the construction, rehabilitation and improvement of adequate and affordable housing in the State so as to increase the number of opportunities for adequate and affordable housing in the State for New Jersey residents, including particularly New Jersey residents of low and moderate income;
(3) Enhance the productive capacity of the private sector in meeting the housing needs of the residents of the State;
(4) Assist in the revitalization of the State's urban areas; and
(5) Respond to changing housing demographic and economic circumstances by the development of innovative and flexible finance vehicles.
Therefore, this act provides for the consolidation of the New Jersey Housing Finance Agency and the New Jersey Mortgage Finance Agency into an agency to be known as the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency.
L.1983, c. 530, s. 2, eff. Jan. 17, 1984.
Section: Previous 55-14j-46 55-14j-47 55-14j-48 55-14j-49 55-14j-50 55-14j-51 55-14k-1 55-14k-2 55-14k-3 55-14k-4 55-14k-5 55-14k-5.1 55-14k-5.2 55-14k-5.3 55-14k-6 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016