55:14K-6. Financing of construction, improvement or rehabilitation of housing projects; loans; application; priorities
a. The agency, in order to encourage the development, operation, maintenance, construction, improvement and rehabilitation of safe and adequate housing in the State, is hereby authorized and empowered to finance, by the making of eligible loans or otherwise, the construction, improvement or rehabilitation of housing projects in the State.
b. The agency, in order to carry out the purposes of subsection a. of this section, may:
(1) accept applications for loans;
(2) enter into agreements with housing sponsors for permanent loans and temporary loans or advances in anticipation of permanent loans for the development, operation, maintenance, construction, improvement or rehabilitation of housing projects; and
(3) make permanent loans and temporary loans or advances in anticipation of permanent loans to housing sponsors under the provisions of this act.
c. No application for a loan for the construction, improvement or rehabilitation of a housing project containing rental units to be rented at below market rates to be located in any municipality shall be processed unless there is already filed with the secretary of the agency a certified copy of a resolution adopted by the municipality reciting that there is a need for such housing project in the municipality.
d. Every application for a loan to a housing sponsor shall be made on forms furnished by the agency and shall contain such information as the agency shall require.
e. In considering any application for a loan for a housing project, the agency shall give first priority to applications for loans for the construction, improvement or rehabilitation of housing projects which will be a part of or constructed in connection with an urban redevelopment program, and also shall give consideration to:
(1) the comparative need of the area to be served by the proposed project for housing;
(2) the ability of the applicant to construct, operate, manage and maintain the proposed housing project;
(3) the existence of zoning or other regulations to protect adequately the proposed housing project against detrimental future uses which could cause undue depreciation in the value of the project;
(4) the availability of adequate parks, recreational areas, utilities, schools, transportation and parking;
(5) the availability of adequate, accessible places of employment; and
(6) where applicable, the eligibility of the applicant to make payments to the municipality in which the housing project is located in lieu of local property taxes.
L.1983, c. 530, s. 6, eff. Jan. 17, 1984.
Section: Previous 55-14k-2 55-14k-3 55-14k-4 55-14k-5 55-14k-5.1 55-14k-5.2 55-14k-5.3 55-14k-6 55-14k-7 55-14k-7.1 55-14k-7.2 55-14k-7.3 55-14k-8 55-14k-9 55-14k-10 Next
Last modified: October 11, 2016