904-a. Merger or consolidation of corporations with other business
entities; certificate of merger or consolidation.
(a) After adoption of the agreement of merger or consolidation by the board and shareholders of each corporation participating in the merger or consolidation, unless the merger or consolidation is abandoned in accordance with paragraph (b) of section nine hundred three of this article, subdivision (d) of section one thousand two of the limited liability company law or other applicable statute, and the surviving or resulting entity is a corporation, foreign corporation, or other business entity for which the laws of this state do not provide for the filing of a certificate of merger or consolidation with the department of state, a certificate of merger or consolidation, entitled "Certificate of merger (or consolidation) of ..... and..... into ..... (names of constituent entities) under section nine hundred four-a of the business corporation law," shall be signed on behalf of each constituent entity and delivered to the department of state. It shall set forth:
(1) The name of each constituent entity and, if the name of any of them has been changed, the name under which it was formed;
(2) The date when the certificate of incorporation or articles of organization of each domestic constituent entity was filed by the department of state;
(3) If a constituent entity is a foreign business corporation or foreign other business entity, the jurisdiction and date of filing of its initial certificate of incorporation or formation document, if any and the date when its application for authority was filed by the department of state or if no such application has been filed, a statement to such effect and (if the constituent foreign corporation is the surviving entity) that it is not to do business in this state until an application for such authority shall have been filed with the department of state;
(4) A statement that an agreement of merger or consolidation has been approved and executed by each constituent entity;
(5) The name of the surviving or consolidated corporation;
(6) If the surviving or resulting entity is a domestic corporation, in case of a merger, a statement of any amendments or changes in the certificate of incorporation of the surviving corporation to be effected by such merger; in case of consolidation, all statements required to be included in a certificate of incorporation for a corporation formed under this chapter;
(7) If the surviving or resulting entity is a foreign corporation or other business entity, an agreement that the surviving or consolidated foreign corporation or other business entity may be served with process in this state in any action or special proceeding for the enforcement of any liability or obligation of any domestic or foreign entity, previously amenable to suit in this state, which is a constituent entity in such merger or consolidation, and for the enforcement, as provided in this chapter, of the right of shareholders or members of any constituent domestic entity to receive payment for their interests against the surviving or consolidated corporation;
(8) If the surviving or resulting entity is a foreign corporation or other business entity, a designation of the secretary of state as its agent upon whom process against it may be served in the manner set forth in paragraph (b) of section three hundred six of this chapter, in any action or special proceeding, and a post office address, within or without this state, to which the secretary of state shall mail a copy of any process against it served upon him. Such post office address shall supersede any prior address designated as the address to which process shall be mailed;
(9) If the surviving or resulting entity is a foreign corporation, an agreement that, subject to the provisions of section six hundred twenty-three of this chapter, section one thousand five of the limited liability company law and any applicable statute, the surviving or consolidated foreign corporation will promptly pay to the shareholders of each constituent domestic corporation and owners of any constituent other business entity the amount, if any, to which they shall be entitled under the provisions of this chapter and the limited liability company law or any applicable statute relating to the right of shareholders, owners and members to receive payment for their interests;
(10) The effective date of the merger or consolidation if other than the date of filing of the certificate of merger or consolidation by the department of state;
(11) For each foreign corporation, foreign limited liability company or other business entity, a statement that such merger or consolidation is permitted by its jurisdiction of incorporation or organization and is in compliance therewith;
(12) That the agreement of merger or consolidation is on file at a place of business of the surviving or resulting domestic or foreign corporation and shall state the address thereof.
(b) The surviving or consolidated domestic or foreign corporation shall thereafter cause a copy of such certificate, certified by the department of state, to be filed in the office of the clerk of each county in which each office of a participating domestic or foreign corporation, other than the surviving corporation, is located, and in the office of the official who is the recording officer of each county in this state in which real property of a participating domestic or foreign corporation, other than the surviving corporation, is situated.
Last modified: February 3, 2019