856. Definitions. As used in this article:
(1) Merchant means a person who deals in the sale of Torah scrolls in the ordinary course of business.
(2) Torah scroll means an edition of the Pentateuch hand-written on parchment.
(3) Person means any individual, partnership, corporation, association, religious corporation, house of worship, however organized, or other entity.
(4) Written instrument means a written or printed agreement, bill of sale, invoice, certificate of authenticity or any other document describing, pursuant to section eight hundred fifty-nine of this article, the Torah scroll which is to be sold, exchanged, donated, consigned, or otherwise transferred, by a merchant.
Last modified: February 3, 2019