* 364-d. Medical assistance research and demonstration projects. 1. The department is authorized to sponsor, conduct and participate in the following research and demonstration projects: "Eldercare: A Social Health Maintenance Organization", "New York State Alcoholism Services Demonstration", and "Physician Reimbursement and Continuing Care Under Medicaid", for the purpose of testing the use of innovative administrative techniques, new reimbursement methods, and changes in the scope of benefits, so as to promote a more efficient utilization of health resources and the containment of medical assistance program costs. Such demonstration projects may be conducted in one or more social services districts or portions of such districts.
2. (a) Social services districts shall be required to participate in the operation of such research and demonstration projects as the department may approve. Social services districts shall cooperate with the department in the conduct of such projects whenever the department shall request or require such participation or cooperation.
(b) Notwithstanding any inconsistent provision of law to the contrary, expenditures made in connection with any research demonstration project undertaken pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be subject to state reimbursement under section three hundred sixty-eight-a of this title.
3. The research and demonstration projects undertaken pursuant to the provisions of this section shall limit the individuals participating thereunder to those persons with respect to whom the department has determined that there is a reasonable expectation that the total cost of benefits under such project would be less than the total cost of benefits for such individual if the research and demonstration program were not in effect.
4. Notwithstanding any inconsistent provision of this chapter or any other law to the contrary, the commissioner may, subject to the approval of the director of the budget, approve any or all of the research and demonstration projects specified in subdivision one of this section, and apply for the appropriate waivers under federal law and regulation, and may waive any of the provisions of this chapter, when such action would be likely to assist in promoting the objectives of this title.
5. (a) For each project undertaken pursuant to the provisions of this section, the department shall submit an interim report and final report to the governor and the legislature. The interim report shall be due eighteen months after the date of approval of the project by the department; the final report shall be due at the conclusion of the project.
(b) Such reports shall include a listing of the accomplishments of the research and demonstration project, and shall evaluate the progress made in achieving the objectives of the project.
6. This section shall be effective with respect to each such project, other than the "New York State Alcoholism Services Demonstration Project", if and as long as, federal participation is available for expenditures made for such research and demonstration project conducted pursuant to the provisions of this section.
* NB Expired July 22, 1986 -- Eldercare: A Social Health Maintenance Organization expired April 9, 2007 per chapter 58 of 2007 Part C 6.
Last modified: February 3, 2019