(a) Operators of tanning equipment and owners of tanning facilities subject to rules adopted pursuant to this Chapter shall comply with or ensure compliance with the following:
(1) The operator shall provide to each consumer a warning statement that defines the potential hazards and consequences of exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Before allowing the consumer's initial use of the tanning equipment, the operator shall obtain the signature of the consumer on the warning statement acknowledging receipt of the warning.
(2) The operator shall not allow a person 13 years and younger to use tanning equipment without a written prescription from the person's medical physician specifying the nature of the medical condition requiring the treatment, the number of visits, and the time of exposure for each visit.
(3) Neither an operator nor an owner shall claim or distribute promotional materials that claim that using tanning equipment is safe or free from risk or that using tanning equipment will result in medical or health benefits.
(b) The Commission may adopt, and the Department shall enforce, rules to implement this section. The requirements of this section are in addition to other rules adopted pursuant to this Chapter that are applicable to tanning facilities and do not conflict with this section.
(c) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise, the term:
(1) "Consumer" means any individual who is provided access to a tanning facility that is subject to registration and regulation under this Chapter.
(2) "Tanning equipment" means ultraviolet or other lamps and equipment containing such lamps intended to induce skin tanning through the irradiation of any part of the living human body with ultraviolet radiation.
(3) "Tanning facility" means any location, place, area, structure, or business that provides consumers access to tanning equipment. For the purpose of this definition, tanning equipment registered to different persons at the same location and tanning equipment registered to the same person, but at separate locations, shall constitute separate tanning facilities. (2004-157, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014