Agricultural seeds sold, offered or exposed for sale, transported for sale, or otherwise distributed within this State shall be labeled to show the following information:
(1) The commonly accepted name of the kind and the variety, or kind and the phrase "variety not stated" for each agricultural seed component, in excess of five percent (5%) of the whole, and the percentage by weight of each in order of its predominance. The Board of Agriculture may, pursuant to G.S. 106-277.15, require the variety to be stated on the labeling for certain kinds of agricultural seed, and the phrase "variety not stated" shall not be used on the labeling of such seed. When more than one component is required to be named, the word "mixture" or the word "mixed" shall be shown conspicuously on the label. Second generation from hybrid seeds, if sold, shall be labeled "second generation (of the parent), variety not stated." "F" designations on labels, unless used as a part of a variety name, will refer only to size and shape of corn seeds.
(2) Lot identification.
(3) Net weight.
(4) Origin, if known. If the origin is unknown, the fact shall be stated.
(5) Percentage by weight of inert matter.
(6) Percentage by weight of agricultural seeds and/or vegetable seeds (which shall be designated as "other crop seeds") other than those named on the label. Different varieties of the same kind of seed, when in quantities of less than five percent (5%) will be considered as other crop seed.
(7) Percentage by weight of all weed seeds, including noxious-weed seeds.
(8) For each named agricultural seed:
a. Percentage of germination, exclusive of hard seed.
b. Percentage of hard seeds, if present.
c. The calendar month and year the test was completed to determine such percentages.
In addition to the individual percentage statement of germination and hard seed, the total percentage of germination and hard seed may be stated as such, if desired.
(9) The name and number per pound of each kind of restricted noxious-weed seed present.
(10) Name and address of person who labeled said seed or who sells, offers or exposes said seed for sale within this State. If the seeds are labeled by the shipper for a consignee within this State, the shipper may use his approved code designation with the name and address of the consignee.
(11) Such other information as the Board shall prescribe by rule. (1941, c. 114, s. 4; 1943, c. 203, s. 2; 1945, c. 828; 1949, c. 725; 1959, c. 585, s. 1; 1963, c. 1182; 1971, c. 637, s. 3; 1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1034, s. 6; 1995, c. 47, s. 1; 2009-455, s. 3.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014