For the purpose of this Article, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Hatchery" means any establishment that operates hatchery equipment for the production of baby chicks or poults.
(2) "Hatching egg dealer, chick dealer, or jobber" means any person, firm, or corporation that buys hatching eggs, baby chicks, or turkey poults and sells or offers them for sale.
(3) "Live poultry or ratite dealer" means a person who sells or offers for sale to the general public live poultry or ratites. Live poultry or ratite dealer does not include persons who sell on their own premises live poultry or ratites that were raised on the same premises.
(4) "Mixed chicks" or "assorted chicks" means chicks produced from eggs from purebred females of a distinct breed mated to a purebred male of a distinct breed.
(5) "Poultry" means live chickens, doves, ducks, geese, grouse, guinea fowl, partridges, pea fowl, pheasants, pigeons, quail, swans, or turkeys other than chicks or poults.
(6) "Ratite" has the same meaning as in G.S. 106-549.15. (1945, c. 616, s. 3; 1969, c. 464; 1998-212, s. 13.10(b).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014