The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Association. - The North Carolina Pork Producers Association, Inc., a North Carolina nonprofit corporation.
(2) Buyer. - Any person engaged as (i) a commission merchant, (ii) an auction market, or (iii) a livestock market in the business of receiving porcine animals for sale on commission for or on behalf of a pork producer.
(3) Department. - The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
(4) Market. - To sell, slaughter for sale, or otherwise dispose of a porcine animal in commerce.
(5) Person. - An individual, a partnership, a firm, or a corporation.
(6) Porcine animal. - Swine raised for seed stock, market hogs, or slaughter.
(7) Pork producer. - A person who (i) is a North Carolina resident, (ii) owns, manages, or has a financial interest in pork production, and (iii) is actively involved in the production of porcine animals. (1991, c. 605, s. 1; 1997-261, s. 79.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014