Any person who intends to construct a swine farm whose animal waste management system is subject to a permit under Part 1 or 1A of Article 21 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes shall, after completing a site evaluation and before the farm site is modified, notify all adjoining property owners; all property owners who own property located across a public road, street, or highway from the swine farm; the county or counties in which the farm site is located; and the local health department or departments having jurisdiction over the farm site of that person's intent to construct the swine farm. This notice shall be by certified mail sent to the address on record at the property tax office in the county in which the land is located. Notice to a county shall be sent to the county manager or, if there is no county manager, to the chair of the board of county commissioners. Notice to a local health department shall be sent to the local health director. The written notice shall include all of the following:
(1) The name and address of the person intending to construct a swine farm.
(2) The type of swine farm and the design capacity of the animal waste management system.
(3) The name and address of the technical specialist preparing the waste management plan.
(4) The address of the local Soil and Water Conservation District office.
(5) Information informing the adjoining property owners and the property owners who own property located across a public road, street, or highway from the swine farm that they may submit written comments to the Division of Water Resources, Department of Environment and Natural Resources. (1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 626, s. 7(a); 1996, 2nd Ex. Sess., c. 18, s. 27.34(d); 1997-443, s. 11A.119(a); 1997-458, s. 4.1; 2013-413, s. 57(d).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014