(a) There is established the North Carolina Principal Fellows Commission. The Commission shall exercise its powers and duties independently of the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina. The Director of the Principal Fellows Program shall staff the Commission. The State Education Assistance Authority (SEAA) as created in G.S. 116-203 shall be responsible for implementing scholarship loan agreements, monitoring, cancelling through service, collecting and otherwise enforcing the agreements for the Principal Fellows Program scholarship loans established in accordance with G.S. 116-74.42.
(a1) All funds appropriated to, or otherwise received by, the Principal Fellows Program for scholarships, all funds received as repayment of scholarship loans, and all interest earned on these funds shall be placed in an institutional trust fund pursuant to G.S. 116-36.1.
(b) The Commission shall consist of 12 members appointed as follows:
(1) One member of the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina appointed by the chair of that board, notwithstanding G.S. 116-7(b).
(2) One member of the State Board of Education appointed by the State Board chair.
(3) Two deans of schools of education appointed by the President of The University of North Carolina.
(4) One public school teacher appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
(5) One public school principal appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(6) A local superintendent chosen by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
(7) One member to represent business and industry appointed by the Governor.
(8) One local school board member appointed by the chair of the State Board of Education.
(9) One parent of a public school child appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
(10) The chairperson of the Board of the State Education Assistance Authority.
(11) The director of the Principal Fellows Program. The director shall chair the Commission.
(c) Initial appointments shall be made no later than September 15, 1993. Initial terms of those members appointed to fill the teacher, principal, parent, superintendent, and the local school board member seats shall expire July 1, 1995. Initial terms of those members appointed to fill the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina, State Board of Education, deans of schools of education, and the member of business and industry seats shall expire July 1, 1997. Thereafter, all appointments for these seats shall be for four-year terms.
(d) Except as otherwise provided, if a vacancy occurs in the membership, the appointing authority shall appoint another person to serve for the balance of the unexpired term. In the discretion of the appointing authority, a State Board of Education member or a member of the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina may complete a term on the Commission after the member's appointment from the appointing board has expired.
(e) Commission members shall receive per diem, subsistence, and travel allowances in accordance with G.S. 138-5 or G.S. 138-6, as appropriate.
(f) The Commission shall meet regularly, at times and places deemed necessary by the chair. (1993, c. 321, s. 85(a); 2006-203, s. 51.2.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014