In addition to the functions prescribed in Article 7 of Chapter 120, the Legislative Services Commission, acting through the Fiscal Research Division, shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To make periodic and special analyses of past receipts and expenditures and of current requests and recommendations for appropriations of State departments, agencies, and institutions, giving special consideration to the requests and recommendations for appropriations to continue current programs and services;
(2) To review and evaluate compliance by State departments, agencies, and institutions with such legislative directions as may be contained in the State budget;
(3) To examine the structure and organization of State departments, agencies, and institutions and recommend such changes as considerations of increased efficiency might indicate;
(4) To make such other studies, analyses, and inquiries into the affairs of State government as may be directed by the Legislative Services Commission, by the Committee on Appropriations of either house, or by either house of the General Assembly.
(5) To make periodic reports on the activities of the Division and special reports on the above-mentioned studies, reviews, analyses, evaluations, examinations, and inquiries to the Committee on Appropriations of either house of the General Assembly, or to either house of the General Assembly, as may be appropriate. The reports of the Division shall, where feasible, include estimates of the financial savings achieved by or anticipated to result from its recommendations. (1971, c. 659, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014