(a) The Joint Legislative Emergency Management Oversight Committee shall examine, on a continuing basis, issues related to emergency management in North Carolina in order to make ongoing recommendations to the General Assembly on ways to promote effective emergency preparedness, management, response, and recovery. The Committee may examine:
(1) Whether the State building code sufficiently addresses issues related to commercial and residential construction in hurricane and flood prone areas.
(2) The public health infrastructure in place to respond to natural and nonnatural disasters.
(3) Hurricane preparedness, evacuation, and response.
(4) Energy security issues.
(5) Terrorism preparedness and response, including bioterrorism.
(6) Flood and natural disaster preparation and response.
(7) Any other topic the Committee believes is related to its purpose.
(b) The Committee may make interim reports to the General Assembly on matters for which it may report to a regular session of the General Assembly. A report to the General Assembly may contain any legislation needed to implement a recommendation of the Committee. (2012-90, s. 6.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014