All civic, nonprofit, or charitable corporations and organizations are authorized to serve nonalcoholic refreshments to motorists at rest areas and welcome centers located on control-access facilities in accordance with the following conditions:
(1) Thirty-day permits shall be issued without cost by the Highway Division Engineer. Permits shall be subject to revocation by the Chief Engineer for violations of this section. The applicant must be a nonprofit organization showing a record of concern for automotive, highway, or driver safety.
(2) The activity must be carried on solely within the safety rest area free from any ramp or other service used for the movement of vehicles.
(3) The activity must be conducted for the express purpose of improving the safety of highway travel and the advertisement of any product by any organization shall not be permitted.
(4) The refreshment and any other service offered must be free of charge to the motorist.
(5) Signs shall be displayed by the corporation or organization, and the Department of Transportation is hereby authorized to promulgate rules and regulations governing the size, content and location of such signs. (1973, c. 1346; 1977, c. 464, s. 7.1; 1981, c. 545, ss. 1, 2; 2012-85, s. 7.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014