(a) There is established within the Department of Administration the North Carolina Farmworker Council.
(b) The North Carolina Farmworker Council shall consist of 13 members as follows:
(1) Four shall be appointed by the Governor.
(2) Two shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(3) Two shall be appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
(4) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services or the Deputy Secretary of the Department if designated by the Secretary shall serve ex officio.
(5) The Commissioner of Labor or the Deputy Commissioner of the Department if designated by the Commissioner shall serve ex officio.
(6) The Commissioner of Agriculture or the Deputy Commissioner of the Department if designated by the Commissioner shall serve ex officio.
(7) The Assistant Secretary of Commerce in charge of the Division of Employment Security or that officer's designee shall serve ex officio.
(8) The Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources or his designee shall serve ex officio.
(c) Vacancies in membership of the Council shall be filled by the original appointing authority for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(d) The Governor shall appoint the chairman of the Council. At its first meeting the Council shall select a vice-chairman from its membership and a secretary. The chairman shall preside at all meetings and in his absence the vice-chairman shall act as chairman.
(e) A majority of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
(f) The initial meeting of the Council shall be called by the Governor. Subsequent meetings shall be held upon the call of the chairman or upon the written request of four members. The Council shall meet at least four times per year.
(g) Council members who are members of the General Assembly shall receive subsistence and travel allowances at the rate set forth in G.S. 120-3.1. Council members and ex officio members who are employees of the State of North Carolina shall receive travel allowances at the rate set forth in G.S. 138-6. All other Council members shall receive per diem, subsistence and travel expenses at the rate set forth in G.S. 138-5.
(h) The Department of Administration shall provide necessary clerical equipment and administrative services to the Council, provided the Council may hire and discharge its own staff if it so desires. (1983, c. 923, s. 205; 1987, c. 876, s. 29.1; 1991, c. 130, s. 1; 1995, c. 490, s. 19; 1997-443, ss. 11A.118(a), 11A.119(a); 2011-401, s. 3.22.)
Sections: Previous 143B-426.18 143B-426.19 143B-426.20 143B-426.21 143B-426.22 143B-426.23 143B-426.24 143B-426.25 143B-426.26 143B-426.30, 143B-426.31 143B-426.34A 143B-426.34B 143B-426.35 143B-426.36 143B-426.37 Next
Last modified: March 23, 2014