(a) The Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety shall establish pilot programs on sexual assault for inmates at three units of the State prison system. The Division shall select units with greater than average levels of inmate violence for participation in these pilot programs.
(b) Each pilot program shall operate as follows:
(1) The Division shall provide, as part of every inmate's orientation, a program on sexual assault, with a goal to complete that program within seven days of commitment to the Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety. The program shall provide inmates with at least the following information:
a. An accurate presentation pertaining to sexual assault violence;
b. Information on preventing and reducing the risk of sexual assault;
c. Information on available counseling for victims of sexual assault; and
d. The procedure for victims of sexual assault to request counseling.
(2) The division shall provide sexual assault counseling on-site at the prison unit to any prisoner requesting it. Counselors shall be granted reasonable access to Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety institutions and prisoners for the purpose of providing confidential sexual assault counseling.
(3) Unless the Director of the Section of Prisons of the Division of Adult Correction finds a particular item to be unsuitable, the Division shall allow the distribution of materials on sexual assault and rape trauma syndrome developed or sponsored by community rape crisis centers or nonprofit organizations with expertise in sexual assault. Any such material provided to a correctional institution shall be made available to inmates in places where they may make use of them privately and without attracting undue attention, such as in the library, law library, medical clinic, recreation hall, mental health offices, and educational lobby areas.
(4) The Division shall post notices of the availability of any community-based rape crisis counselors who are willing to provide confidential counseling. Communications between prisoners and rape crisis counselors are confidential. The Division shall cooperate with community rape crisis centers seeking to identify and provide counseling to former inmates who were the victims of sexual assault.
(5) The Division shall collect statistical data of all known, reported, or suspected incidents of sexual aggression or sexually motivated violence occurring at units participating in the pilot programs. The Division shall compile this data on a quarterly and annual basis.
(6) The Division shall develop and implement employee training on the identification and prevention of sexual assault among inmates, in coordination with the Division's employee basic training program. The training shall be provided to new employees at orientation and shall also be part of annual employee training.
(7) The Division shall evaluate and classify each prisoner with respect to the probable risk of sexual assault. When feasible, incoming inmates shall be handled separately until this classification is made. The classification shall be prominently displayed in the inmate's confidential file, and the Division shall consider the prisoner's classification when making housing assignments.
(8) The Division shall also rate prisoners as potential sexual assault offenders based upon (i) criminal history; (ii) incidents occurring during confinement; and (iii) reports of incidents that the Division determines to be credible. The Division shall take the prisoners' potential for sexual assault into consideration when making housing assignments.
(9) The Division shall ensure that prisoners rated vulnerable or highly vulnerable to sexual assault and prisoners rated as potential assaulters are not housed in the same cell or room holding four or fewer inmates or placed in the showers at the same time to the extent that it is practicable. Any exceptions to this policy shall be reported to the Secretary within three days. (1997-288, ss. 1, 2; 2011-145, s. 19.1(h), (j), (s).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014