(a) As a prerequisite for a county receiving funding for juvenile court services and delinquency prevention programs, the board of commissioners of a county shall appoint a Juvenile Crime Prevention Council. Each County Council is a continuation of the corresponding Council created under G.S. 147-33.61. The County Council shall consist of not more than 26 members and should include, if possible, the following:
(1) The local school superintendent, or that person's designee;
(2) A chief of police in the county;
(3) The local sheriff, or that person's designee;
(4) The district attorney, or that person's designee;
(5) The chief court counselor, or that person's designee;
(6) The director of the area mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse authority, or that person's designee;
(7) The director of the county department of social services, or consolidated human services agency, or that person's designee;
(8) The county manager, or that person's designee;
(9) A substance abuse professional;
(10) A member of the faith community;
(11) A county commissioner;
(12) Two persons under the age of 18 years, one of whom is a member of the State Youth Council;
(13) A juvenile defense attorney;
(14) The chief district court judge, or a judge designated by the chief district court judge;
(15) A member of the business community;
(16) The local health director, or that person's designee;
(17) A representative from the United Way or other nonprofit agency;
(18) A representative of a local parks and recreation program; and
(19) Up to seven members of the public to be appointed by the board of commissioners of a county.
The board of commissioners of a county shall modify the County Council's membership as necessary to ensure that the members reflect the racial and socioeconomic diversity of the community and to minimize potential conflicts of interest by members.
(b) Two or more counties may establish a multicounty Juvenile Crime Prevention Council under subsection (a) of this section. The membership shall be representative of each participating county.
(c) The members of the County Council shall elect annually the chair and vice-chair. (1998-202, s. 1(b); 2000-137, s. 1(b); 2001-199, s. 1; 2011-145, s. 19.1(t).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014