In order to carry out the duties of the Department of Administration as set forth in Chapters 143 and 146 of the General Statutes, the Department of Administration is authorized and empowered to acquire by purchase, gift, condemnation or otherwise:
(1) Lands necessary for the construction and operation of State buildings and other governmental facilities.
(2) Lands necessary for construction and operation of parking facilities.
(3) An area in the City of Raleigh bounded by Edenton Street, Person Street, Peace Street, the right-of-way of the main line of Seaboard Coast Line Railway and North McDowell Street for the expansion of State governmental facilities, the public interest in, public use of, and the necessity for the acquisition of said area, being hereby declared as a matter of legislative determination.
(4) Lands necessary for the location, expansion, operation and improvement of hospital and mental health facilities and similar institutions maintained by the State of North Carolina.
(5) Lands necessary for public parks and forestry purposes.
(6) Lands involving historical sites, together with such adjacent lands as may be necessary for their preservation, maintenance and operation.
(7) Lands necessary for the location, expansion and improvement of any educational, penal or correctional institution.
(8) Lands necessary to provide public access to the waters within the State.
(9) Lands necessary for agricultural, experimental and research facilities.
(10) Utility and access easement, rights-of-way, estates for terms of years or fee simple title to lands necessary or convenient to the operation of state-owned facilities.
(11) Lands necessary for the development and preservation of the estuarine areas of the State.
(12) Lands necessary for the development of waterways within the State.
(13) Lands necessary for acquisition of all or part of an area of environmental concern, as requested pursuant to G.S. 113A-123.
(14) Lands necessary for the construction of hazardous waste facilities as defined in G.S. 130A-290, inactive hazardous substance or waste disposal sites as defined in G.S. 130A-310, Superfund sites as described in G.S. 130A-310.22, and lands necessary for the construction of low-level radioactive waste facilities as defined in G.S. 104E-5. (1969, c. 1091, s. 1; 1973, c. 1284, s. 2; 1981, c. 704, s. 23; 1989, c. 286, s. 11.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014